Using a Mixer to Frontend my MultiTracker

ColdToTheTouch

I have a tascam dp02cf.. and I mostly use FL studio for my drum samples, but eventually I will be recording live drums. My multitracker is an 8-track and only records 2 tracks at a time. I love my recorder, and when my finances are better, i will be upgrading to the 2488 neo 24 tracks. But what I want to know is how should I record drums using a mixer before my 8-track? I dont have the mixer yet, but will be picking one up within a few weeks. Do I pan everything to the center on the mixer, except maybe pan the cymbals to the right or left, and then when the tracks are recorded, just keep the panning to the center on my 8-track, and whatever channels I panned on the mixer, will stay where they are on my 8-track if I keep it panned center? lol.. i think I confused myself again, but I hope you get the idea.. Thanks

Since your multitrack can only record 2 tracks at a time...you will want to track your drums and output from the mixer as 2 tracks as a L/R (stereo) mix.

So...when you have the individual tracks going through the mixer...assign them to the mixer's L/R output and pan the individual tracks at the mixer exactly how you want them to sound in the finished mix.
They will then end up the same in the multitrack deck when you record them to the two tracks.

Basically...you need to think ahead when making decisions since you will not have each mic/track on it's own track to mess with later.

Back