Using a head with an amp....for the speaker.

Bodhisan said:
What I'm gathering from you experts (and I mean that with affection), is that I can't plug my head into the Peavey. I simply need to disconnect the speaker wires, and get a specialized cable that has a 1/4" jack on one end to go from the speak out output of the head, and connect the two little thingies from the other end of the specialized cable to the two little thingies on the Black Widow speaker wires. Eh? Eh? Am I with you?!

Bodhisan

yes!!! lol !!!!!

ggunn said:
Some loops are labeled "send" and "receive", others are labeled "preamp out" and "power amp in", but it's the same thing.
Alright, I'm not trying to hijack this thread or be a wise ass, I'm just curious. My bass amp has both a pre out/power in and send/receive on it. I keep the pre out patched to the power in, because that's the way it was given to me. My only thought is that you could run your effects through the send/receive and then the pre out to a different power amp, but couldn't you also just send the last effect directly to the other power amp? The amp in question is a Peavey Data Bass.

IronFlippy said:
Alright, I'm not trying to hijack this thread or be a wise ass, I'm just curious. My bass amp has both a pre out/power in and send/receive on it. I keep the pre out patched to the power in, because that's the way it was given to me. My only thought is that you could run your effects through the send/receive and then the pre out to a different power amp, but couldn't you also just send the last effect directly to the other power amp? The amp in question is a Peavey Data Bass.
The send/recieve is a buffered effects loop, it is for effects. The pre out/power in is for slaving the amps.

Jay, that's what I first thought, but I realized that instead of clipping onto the amp speaker wires, my black widow has the window clip holes (for lack of knowing what they're called) where you stick the speaker wire tips into their gaping mouth, then release the release and the mouths tightly shut. Would the banana ends work with that?

Bodhisan said:
Jay, that's what I first thought, but I realized that instead of clipping onto the amp speaker wires, my black widow has the window clip holes (for lack of knowing what they're called) where you stick the speaker wire tips into their gaping mouth, then release the release and the mouths tightly shut. Would the banana ends work with that?

Only if you remove the banana plug, assuming that the two ends are in a single formed plastic holder. By far the simplest thing to do (and undo) would be as I said earlier - get a 1/4" barrel connector to change the gender of one end of a speaker cable and run it from the head's speaker out to the short speaker cable in the combo. Of course, that's assuming that your combo's speaker connects to the amp section with a 1/4" plug.

If it just has wires coming out of the combo amp chassis into the speaker, then what you need is a speaker cable with a 1/4 plug on one end and bare wires on the other. Disconnect the wires from the combo (don't leave the existing wires connected), and push the bare wires into the "clip holes". It doesn't matter which wire goes into which hole.

Gordon -- thank you.

And a simpler option, it was revealed to me, is to just to go from the head's line out (instead of speaker out) into the Peavey's power amp in.

Bodhisan

Bodhisan said:
Gordon -- thank you.

And a simpler option, it was revealed to me, is to just to go from the head's line out (instead of speaker out) into the Peavey's power amp in.

Bodhisan
You still need to have a speaker hooked to the speaker output of the head. Otherwise, you will blow the output transformer. Never run an amp without a speaker.

Bodhisan said:
Gordon -- thank you.

Bodhisan

What Farview said about not running a tube head without a speaker, however, if the head has a power amp in jack, you can plug a dummy or shorting 1/4" plug into it and most likely it will keep any signal from reaching the power section, and then it's safe to run it without a speaker.

That said, however, you might as well just run the combo if you are going to do that; all you would be doing is swapping the preamp section of the combo for the one in the head. You'd be using the same power amp as if you were just running the combo.

You know, you might as well just go buy a speaker cab for the new head instead of all this.

Yeah, it does sound rather complicated. Here's what Frenzel's website says about this particular head on the issue of not hooking up a speaker:

"Post output transformer LINE OUT with LINE OUT LEVEL control for driving a higher power amp, or for using this amp as a tube preamp/overdrive. Auto switching internal load if speaker is not connected to give you loaded output distortion. NOTE: Also great for using headphones!"

http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/id40.html

It's a pretty cool head -- check it out.

I'm buying this to use for direct recording a pedal steel, but was wondering about options if I wanted to gig with it (and liked the pre on it better than the Peavey). I have looked at buying a cabinet for it, but I am strapped for room in the house. Thanks, guys.

Bodhisan

Well that feature pretty much changes the whole discussion doesn't it? And it only took thirty posts... :rolleyes: Pretty cool though.
I didn't see where they might say how they dissipate the load. (I melted the Toxel on my Super Reverb with a 100 watt/10ohm once.. :p
Wayne

Back