Using a condenser and dynamic mic simultaneously...

Mike_J

Have an issue with my current setup. I'd like to record my guitar cab using my sm57 and a condensor mic at the same time. The problem is that the mic inputs for both the audio interface AND my mixer give me only phantom power on or off options, and nothing in between. In other words, its either phantom power for both mic channels on the mixer and the audio interface, or no phantom power at all.
So..do I replace the mixer or the soundcard? Mixer is a Soundcraft Compact and the audio card is a Tascam US-122L. I know the cab micing/condenser vs dynamic thing has been done to death but recomendations/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Mike.

You can use an SM57 with phantom power. So long as your mic cables are up to scratch (and the dynamic mics you are using are balanced) there should be no problems. This is the reason why its called 'phantom power' - its "invisible" to things that don't need it.

Have an issue with my current setup. I'd like to record my guitar cab using my sm57 and a condensor mic at the same time. The problem is that the mic inputs for both the audio interface AND my mixer give me only phantom power on or off options, and nothing in between. In other words, its either phantom power for both mic channels on the mixer and the audio interface, or no phantom power at all.
So..do I replace the mixer or the soundcard? Mixer is a Soundcraft Compact and the audio card is a Tascam US-122L. I know the cab micing/condenser vs dynamic thing has been done to death but recomendations/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Mike.

You can turn on Phantom power with both mics plugged in. It will not hurt the dynamic mic as it will simply ignore it.

If the mics are plugged into the mixer then only turn on phantom power at the mixer but not on the computer interface. Phantom power sends electricity (about 48 volts,) out through the mic XLR plug so you only want it going to the mics and not to (or through) other gear in the signal chain.

The basic original question was a good one though, as some ribbon mic's can be damaged by phantom power. Ribbon mic's are, technically, dynamic mic's.

With good solid mic, cable, xlr connections the dynamic mic is fine with phantom. Making the connections then powering, and vise versa power down first, is slightly safer yet.

..load queston, go away a few minutes, come back to send.. see we got you covered multiple times. :)

Excellent. Yes-the cables are all new XLR cables.
Thanks for taking the time out to help. Guess thats my Saturday taken care of then.
Cheers,
Mike.

He's just being silly. Mixsit makes a good point though. The easiest way to damage your mics is to be plugging and unplugging them in with the phantom power on. Make sure it is off before connecting the mics and then turn it on with the speakers muted.

No worries. Thought it might be something I missed. Appreciate the help.

I got the double mic thing going and its sounding way better than a single SM57. Now its a case of testing different placements on my 4 x 12 cab with the mics. For some reason, I have not had any phase cancellation problems.

The basic original question was a good one though, as some ribbon mic's can be damaged by phantom power. Ribbon mic's are, technically, dynamic mic's.

Actually, that's wrong.

Ribbons don't care much about phantom power, and you can quite easily give a ribbon mic phantom power with no adverse affects, provided that your phantom power is solid.

The problem arises when the +48 hits one leg earlier than another - if that's the case, then it'll rip the ribbon on to one of the magnets.

Using the Neve desk in the studio I work at, there are no issues with plugging ribbons with phantom power.

No, not wrong. But uncommon. There are models of ribbon mic's that can be damaged by phantom power - some unmodified vintage Coles and RCA.

The more likely problem for home recordists though is a shorted cable, which can cause ribbon damage from phantom power.

Back