using a computer via midi for live band

webbsc

I would like to be able to set my laptop up to play keyboards thru it live. I hear lots of folks on this forum talk about it. I would like to know what components i need to connect my laptop to a mdid controller and then what software or where i can upload sounds. Right now I am using a p90 as a controller and a yamaha cs-6....I also have a trinity-pro x, but it is in for repairs. I would like to be able to set up some of the sounds from my trinity or even some other piano and effects sounds on the laptop...seems like every musicians dream, to be able to use lots of sounds/power in a small compact package. Thanks for your help. expense is not really an issue for this rig, as I want it to be really good. I have an hp, 3.2 GHZ, 100BG, 512 RAM, windows xp with usb 2.0 and firewire. Thanks again for your help

I posted almost exactly the same question a month ago and got little response. I wanted to do the same thing, because I had all these really neat sounds I was using from DXi's and VST's, and I didn't want to go out and purchase hardware to recreate what I'd already done.

But then I found a TritonLE for about half price used, and was able to duplicate my softsynth sounds perfectly.

AND... my Korg doesn't crash. And if it ever did, turning it off and on takes 1 second. Rebooting a laptop in the middle of a set isn't an option.

thanks for the help. I did look later and see that post...i am very interested in gigastudio 3. I'm not overly concerned about a crash, because for the most part I use straightforward sounds, but a few songs I use certain effects that I was getting off of my trinity pro-x and am having a hard time to find on the new replacement set up. I tried a triton le, but wasn't very impressed with the piano sounds. Not sure how to sample new sounds into one of those.
thanks,
simon

All you need is a midi interface (MidisportUSB?) and a soundcard (either USB or PCMCIA like Echo's) for the laptop plus a couple of MIDI cables. That's it.

No different setting up the rig for performing live than for setting up in the studio... maybe that's why you got no response before. A MIDI rig is a MIDI rig no matter what you're going to do with it.

For a fabulous live host look no further than Energy XT http://www.xt-hq.com/

It Allows multiple simultaneous Audio/MIDI I/O. I use 3 M-Audio controllers (2 Radium 61's, 1 Oxygen 8, And any hardware synths as controllers when not in use), and use a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI footboard for program change. I basically setup up 3-4 soft-synths (each w/ different MIDI Channel) w/ FX, and save it as a program. So everytime I stomp a button on my pedalboard, presto... a whole new group of synths are available. I can save as many programs I want (Usually just 1 per song), and before I play out live I just load up the programs in the File list in the order we'll play, so I can just sequentially step between them.

Worth noting XT has comprehensive Keyzone and transposing and channel splitting functions, so any keyboard will be able to have these abilities if they don't already have them natively. I also use MIDI OX/MIDI YOKE (Free!!! http://www.midiox.com/ ) for filtering and merging/splitting functions (Because some soft syths don't always behave properly if they are not recieving on channel 1, and most of my harware synths uses ch1 globally, and I'd have to rewrite all my combi's if I wanted to change). I just use Midi Ox to convert all incoming messages from those keyboards to different channels (i.e 4, 5, 6...), while my M-Audios are ch 1, 2, and 3. If need to use my hardware synths as controllers without internal sound I can just pull down the volume (Via stereo 1/4" foot pedals). I know it may sound complex, but really it isn't. Ultra-Flexible no fuss crash-free operation (And I get 2ms latency at 24bit/96khz).

As far as emulating the Trinity, I say why bother. Hopefully it will be out of the shop soon, and you'll be able to take it with you.

thanks for all the responses. I am a real newbie to midi...never have used it in the studio to record with so that is why the questions. I am fairly computer savvy. I did look at a few of the software options listed in a previous post and wondered if anyone was using gigastudio. I will also check those listed above. I can't wait for the trinity to get out of the shop, but if i could get some real quality piano and other synth sounds and just use my laptop (which I always have at gigs anyway), then that is how I'd rather go....the trintiy is really heavy in comparision to the p90...

brandex said:
What is a good soundcard for no latency live midi performance using vsti or dxi instruments?
Never seen one. Some cards advertise Zero-Latency monitoring, but that is for external signals only. I have found that I really don't notice latency unless it gets above about 11ms (Unless I am playing really fast parts with sharp attack sounds i.e. Square Leads, even than it is minimal and not enough to through out my timing).
I got the 11ms spec from my Delta card (that is the lowest latency I can achieve at 16bit/44.1khz with the buffers I use for multitrack recording and playback). But again, live it runs 2ms (I tested that recording the outputs to the inputs). I can't tell 2ms apart from 0ms, can you?

I am starting to consider this myself.

I've already got quite a rack started. (Though I need an actual rack for some of my modules...)

My near future setup:
Kurzweil SP88 as controller & for 1 onboard sound (INT)
Kurzweil Micro Ensemble module (Channel 4)
Yamaha TX7 (Channel 5)
Laptop running Native Instruments' B4 (Channel 1, 2, 3)

At last I have finally figured out how to set up everything, though it's not fun with the ME because it doesn't save presets.

Right now I should be looking to trade the SP88 and Micro Ensemble for a PC2 which would be the same thing plus so much more. I would need a Micro Piano for that one sound I love for a song... that or a sampler.

I'm a bit weary of integrating a PC into my setup, but hopefully it would work. Though with 4 instruments, that's a lot of cables! I go DI at the clubs I play at, and since I've added the ME, I've had to ask for a second DI box. Asking for 4 would be a lot, and that's not even using 3 out of the 4 instruments in stereo. I think I'm gonna need a small mixer in my rack.

Yes you do. I run all my synths into a rack mixer, and setup all my own effects on the sends. It's a 4 buss so I send 1 stereo buss to my monitors (+ 1 additional monitor send to an amp), and I send the mains to the house PA (Usually with a compressor strapped across the mains so that I'm not sending them any overally-hot signals).

Atterion said:
For a fabulous live host look no further than Energy XT http://www.xt-hq.com/

It Allows multiple simultaneous Audio/MIDI I/O. I use 3 M-Audio controllers (2 Radium 61's, 1 Oxygen 8, And any hardware synths as controllers when not in use), and use a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI footboard for program change. I basically setup up 3-4 soft-synths (each w/ different MIDI Channel) w/ FX, and save it as a program. So everytime I stomp a button on my pedalboard, presto... a whole new group of synths are available. I can save as many programs I want (Usually just 1 per song), and before I play out live I just load up the programs in the File list in the order we'll play, so I can just sequentially step between them.

Worth noting XT has comprehensive Keyzone and transposing and channel splitting functions, so any keyboard will be able to have these abilities if they don't already have them natively. I also use MIDI OX/MIDI YOKE (Free!!! http://www.midiox.com/ ) for filtering and merging/splitting functions (Because some soft syths don't always behave properly if they are not recieving on channel 1, and most of my harware synths uses ch1 globally, and I'd have to rewrite all my combi's if I wanted to change). I just use Midi Ox to convert all incoming messages from those keyboards to different channels (i.e 4, 5, 6...), while my M-Audios are ch 1, 2, and 3. If need to use my hardware synths as controllers without internal sound I can just pull down the volume (Via stereo 1/4" foot pedals). I know it may sound complex, but really it isn't. Ultra-Flexible no fuss crash-free operation (And I get 2ms latency at 24bit/96khz).

As far as emulating the Trinity, I say why bother. Hopefully it will be out of the shop soon, and you'll be able to take it with you.

Brainspawn Forte Ensemble is also a great live host.

Honestly, I don't know how good of an idea bringing a computer on stage is given the crash factor. But, if you're going to take a computer on stage, get yourself a good ibook or powerbook. I've been a long time user of both PC and Mac and realize the good/bad of both.

Bottom line, you can debate other aspects of performance till you're blue in the face, but I've experienced crashes on both platforms, and the mac ALWAYS recovers quicker. If something goes haywire on my PC, it often times requires a reboot to correct. My mac does a fantastic job of isolating the issue. I can force quit (ctrl+alt+del for you PC heads) out of my sequencer and relaunch in a few seconds.

Two cents well spent.

I have never had a problem with my live machine crashing (PC). I use WinXP, which has proved to be very stable (Note: I have gone to every length to assure it is optimized for audio, and have not installed anything that is not directly related to it's use on stage). Laptops are good (Yes Macs included), but I personally recommend rackmounted units (Preferably with Hard-Drive Caddies).

Possible options

A) If your using General Midi, then a Pentium 1 running at 133 mhz and a Soundblaster Live soundcard could do the trick.
You could find one for free, SB Live $35, or maybe a PC with a SB already inside. SB's use soundfonts, so you might not get exact sounds

B) Record the softsynth parts to MP3's and burn to CD
Then, use a DVD player for playback. No need for PC for performance.

johnnymegabyte said:
B) Record the softsynth parts to MP3's and burn to CD
Then, use a DVD player for playback. No need for PC for performance.
I don't used pre-recorded tracks for live use, but if I did I'd at least want a click track to keep sync with (Unless the pre-recorded track happened to be the drum track). A computer makes that much easier (Especially with a soundcard with multiple outputs, you could route the click to a spare output for monitoring only).
Additionally, for those of you with lower quality soundcards, check out the ASIO4ALL driver (Sorry no link, Do a web search, what am I??? Your secratary???). I've seen that driver turn otherwise useless soundcards into workable low-cost alternatives that will get you a little closer to what you want to achieve until funds allow for an upgrade.

Back