Using 7.4 and elastic audio

MessianicDreams

Ok so this is doing my head in.

I've got a track hat was recorded to a click track. The drummer is pretty good, has a decent amount of groove and feel to it, but every so often loses the click slightly. I've also got a keyboardist playing a rhythm that's very hard to BeatDetective properly, and who's got very dubious sense of rhythm.

Here's what I'm trying to do: I want to be able to get like a 4 bar loop of what the keyboardist is playing, and copy over the whole track (chords are the same). I'm going to beat map the drummers performance, as I like the feel of the drums and don't want to quantise them. I want Elastic Audio to automatically stretch or pull the keyboard loop so that it stays in time with the tempo changes of the drummer.

I know there's some kinda way of doing this, but I can't for the live of me figure it out. I've not really used Elastic Audio much, so you'll have to bare with me :P

Any takers?

I think I can help with this.. What you do is enable elastic audio on both the drums and the piano.. now use beat detective on the drums to extract a grove.. I'm not in front of my rig to be specific, but there is a radio button for this on the left side of the beat detective dialogue.. Now you just apply the grove to the piano.. and you're all set.. let me see if I can find a link to this that explains it better.. Be back shortly. Also check out the "pro tools accelerated" series on elastic audio over at youtube..

Yeh, i've actually been trying that this afternoon - the whole groove extraction thing, except not extracting the drum groove but extracting the keys groove from a few bars where he's playing well.

I then beat mapped the dreams, and applied the key's groove template to the keys across the whole song. Worked better than a simple quantise, but I still had to do quite a few manual corrections. I think this is about the limit of what can be quantised - not because the playing is so bad because the rhythm is so complex!

Yeh, i've actually been trying that this afternoon - the whole groove extraction thing, except not extracting the drum groove but extracting the keys groove from a few bars where he's playing well.

I then beat mapped the dreams, and applied the key's groove template to the keys across the whole song. Worked better than a simple quantise, but I still had to do quite a few manual corrections. I think this is about the limit of what can be quantised - not because the playing is so bad because the rhythm is so complex!

I may be missing something, but if you want the keys to follow the drums and tempo changes with the drummer.. wouldn't you want to take the groove from the drum and apply that to the keys?

Back