Using 2 audio interfaces at once... IS IT POSSIBLE?......

leaningpine

I have a PC and I'd like to use 2 interfaces at the same time for live 16 track recording, but have been told that it can't happen, but then again have heard that it MAY be possible on a PC. Has anyone here successfully used 2 interfaces at the same time on a PC? I don't want to buy another interface and find out I can't use it.

What interfaces are they?
A lot of manufacturers make their units daisy-chain-able.

If memory serves, Miro uses several Laylas.

It's a line 6 UX 8, I have the opportunity to get another one, Not sure if it's daisy chain-able. What should I look for to see if it is?

I'm not familiar with the unit, so you're options are either if it has ADAT or can be daisy chained, sorted but a simpler and easier way might be syncing. If you set up the session and run two laptops in tandem, you could record a signal simultaneously to both daw's at once (one channel from the stereo output of a mixer playing a test tone to each interface for example) and as long as everything's working right you should just be able to take the audio from one into the other and work it that way

Not on the ASIO protocol, but it is indeed possible, in certain situations, with ASIO4all or by making an aggregate audio device if you are using a Mac. The latter is the easiest way to do this.

As mentioned above, ASIO does not permit interfacing of multiple units in a single host. However, WDM (Windows Driver Model) does, which makes it possible to use multiple units in a Windows-based environment. Most interfaces by major manufacturers are WDM compatible. The only problem with WDM is that it has an inherent latency of 20-30ms, because it was never intended to be used for pro audio applications but mainly for video, for which the latency is reserved for frame buffering. HOWEVER, using ASIO4all it is possible to wrap the WDM drivers of multiple devices in the ASIO protocol thereby bypassing the pre-read buffer latency and supplying low latency audio. You would then select ASIO4all as your main audio driver in your DAW and enable all devices in its setup window.

There is a catch, though.

Clocking.

In order to use this system effectively you have to externally clock your interfaces via wordclock. If you don't eventually the clocks will go out of sync and you'll get severe jitter distortion until the audio finally drops out.

As far as Macs go, you'd simply create an aggregate audio device in Audio MIDI Setup and set your main interface as the master clock. Voila. Easy as that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

The clocking issue can be a big one. I got two cards to work once under WDM but the results ended up being un-usable due to clock drift--tracks from the two interfaces would be noticeably out of sync in seconds. I tried various tricks to pull them back into sync but the speeds were inconsistent a drifting badly in speed--to use the tracks would have required several days of editing.

Instead of a second identical interface, you'd be better off selling the existing one and getting something with the appropriate number of inputs. Is that Tascam still available at a super cheap price anywhere?

MO above has it right.

Best bet: If the manufacturer doesn't say their interfaces are chain-able then save you pennies, sell your current interface and buy one with more i/o.

Thanks guys, I'm going to get the presonus firestudio mobile. NOw.... I need to keep my line6 interface for the use of pod farm, Can I use both the line 6 USB interface and the Firewire interface at once or is it the same situation? Sorry about all the questions, still new at expanding in DAW recording.

same situation. You might be able to get hardware to collaborate depending on hardware specifics and your computer specifics

if devices do not have a way to synchronize clock it is unlikely you'll ever achieve satisfactory results

Thanks guys, I'm going to get the presonus firestudio mobile. NOw.... I need to keep my line6 interface for the use of pod farm, Can I use both the line 6 USB interface and the Firewire interface at once or is it the same situation? Sorry about all the questions, still new at expanding in DAW recording.

Using my method above, it should be possible, provided they are both WDM compatible. Just remember the clocking issue. It will be the biggest hurdle.

Cheers :)

Back