user opinions of nt1000 vs. other mics in price range

dragnalus

i just won an auction for an nt1000 with bag and clip adaptor, and it will actually be my first ld condenser. i had been considering all the others in the $150-300 price range (c1, v93, mk319, ksm27, cad e-200, c3000b, at4033) but ended up going with this one because i read some good reviews at prorec.com and felt that at $207 including shipping it wasn't a bad deal. so, i would be interested in hearing opinions from anyone who's used this mic in conjunction with some of the others that i mentioned and maybe comment on strengths, weaknesses, unique characteristics etc. vs. any of the others in it's price range (besides the fact that it doesn't have a pad, bass rolloff or pattern switch). thanks.

so nobody has ever used this thing? ok then, i'll reply to my own damn thread after i have something worth posting.

I'll reply to your "damn" thread. You got a good deal for $207. As to why people haven't responded, there could be many reasons. Chances are, there are but a few here who have had experience with the NT1000, let alone own it. Try using the search function. There are several threads in this forum where it has been discussed. If people had some input they would have answered by now. That and...perhaps because it's the weekend?

Just out of curiousity, why are you inquiring about your the mic you already bought? If you're wondering if you made a good purchase, you should have asked around before you bought it.

Have you any experience with any othe LD's? Are you looking to get some more mics? If this is your first experience with LD condensers, you don't have to worry about what other mics sound like. I'm curious as to why you want to know how these compare to other budget mics? Learn how to use what you have. The NT1000 is a fine mic to get started with. You can worry about adding mics to your collection later.

Okay, before you start getting more upset, I know I'm busting your chops. But here, let me share some of the info I've gathered. I was looking to expand my collection recently, but decided to wait since Studio Projects has released a new line. I don't have any experience with the NT1000 personally, but heard about it through a friend who works in a studio and read from different forums and newsgroups. So my disclaimer, I'm basing this on my own readings, and from a professional recording engineer.

Okay....from what I gather....it's a bright mic, but not overbearingly harsh like the usual cheap condensors out there. People who own it have no problems with the mic. It's character has been compared to a TLM 103, but lacking in the lower end. The NT1000 is the solid state version of the NTK. Ty Ford has reviewed both the NT1000 and NTK, check out the rec.audio.pro newsgroup.

For a while before MXL mics beefed up their QC and before Studio Projects came out. There weren't a lot of quality mics in the budget category to pick from. The best to pick from were Rode's NT1000 and NTK. Today it's a different story. It just depends what you're after--QC, customer support, applications? You have to do your homework.

Regards

hmm, i guess sarcasm doesn't come across unless you use one of those annoying smiley faces :) :) :) . maybe the olde english had something to do with my not so obvious attempt at mild humor also. but anyway....

believe me, i did use the search function and didn't come up with anything satisfactory. hence my post. also, i plan on adding several more mics and would like to know which would add a significantly different character and which would be more or less redundant. also, i'm trying to find out from users rather than reviews how these mics apply in daily studio applications.

Aha! My Advice

Didn't catch your sarcasm from your second post. Yeah the smilies woulda helped :) Have you checked out rec.audio.pro? I like coming here first and when I can't find what I'm looking for...I'll go there.

You say you want to find out from users and not reviews. I'd be wary taking the advice or review from anyone as the only way of getting input on gear. Take it all with a grain of salt. Ideally, find a store/retailer who has a great return policy. Take the mic home and try it out in your recording environment. Get a mic that suits your applications. BTW what will your applications be? User's experiences, pro or newbie, are a good reference, but ultimately it would be best to trust your own ears. How does it sound?

I'm not totally downplaying other users' opinions and reviews. Since you're doing your research now, I just wanted to point out that there are other ears out there to make judgements with--your own.

Last edited:
My experience

I have had experience with all of the mics you mentioned except for the Oktava and AT mics. With the exception of the CAD E-200, I think they were all pretty bright mics. I'd say that the E-200 is more neutral.

AKG 3000b--my first LD mic I bought a couple years ago. Good on certain female vocals and cab micing. Used it a lot for female VO's at work. A bit hypey; Proximity Effect! Scooped mids and bumped highs. The hi-pass filter is a bugger. Cut's out too much low. Don't know how the C3000b fares above C3000. Anyone?

SP C1--one of my recent additions. A utility/workhorse mic. Similar to 3000b in character but not as overbearing. The bumped highs are tolerable and smoother. Again slightly scooped mids. Proximity effect isn't as big as C3000b. Have used it mostly for male tenor vox. Pretty decent on acoustic guitar. Can be good as a room mic YMMV. This mic picks up the room sound. Unless you have a nice sounding room, better to use in a dead one.

CAD E-200--Dark in comparison to the above AKG and SP. Neutral. Nice pickup pattern options. I hardly use this one. I tend to favor mics with more character.

MXL V93/2003--Pretty decent mic. Utility mic. Fairly neutral mic with again slightly bumped highs. More versatile than V67; no Decent on acoustic guitar, room mic, drum overheads. Some have mic'd cabs with good results. Haven't tried that one yet.

Shure KSM27--This mic is too hypey. The highs were too brittle for my tastes and the other guys in my studio. Back it went. If you're going the shure route, save up for a least a KSM32. It's less bright than 27 and other than the brightness, it's generally a neutral mic. Sounds contradicting huh? Honestly though, if wanted to go Shure, save up and go for the 44. That's the best of their line IMHO. Shure's have been depicted as being sterile, no character--Neutral.

As for the mk-319 and 4033. I've heard mixed sentiments about the Oktava. Some like it, some don't. The issue was more about QC. If I remember correctly, the housing was made of plastic, so that affected the sound. You can't go wrong with any of the AT's. All of the recordings I've heard made with Audio Technicas have all been decent. I recommend checking out the 3035 too (Ty Ford reviewed this mic outside of this forum). I don't have hands on experience using the mics mentioned in this paragraph. I've only seen them (not in use) and heard recordings made with them (Audio Technica's only).

Sorry. No experience with the Rodes. I've heard great recordings made with a NTK though. I think Macle did his recordings with a NTK. Check out the MP3 mixing clinic. Hope this helps. Anyone, please correct me or add on...I'm going by memory.

Great post, Hoku

I'm thinking of buying the AT 4033 this summer as my main LD condenser for now... It's $290 in germany now. (www.musicstorekoeln.de)
You're absolutely right about the roll-off switch on the AKG C3000B, it's ridiculous! Starting at 500 Hz....

the 4033 is not a LD condensor. I know it looks like one, but I've read several posts from people stating that the capsule is barely over half an inch.

Good point there cominginsecond. I remember reading up on that also some time ago. The size of the diaphragm is about 5/8". So I guess that would make it a Medium diaphragm condensor if there's such a thing? Interestingly, the KSM32 is about the same size, if not 3/4"? Well it's somewhere around there. Regardless of actual diaphragm size, I believe both the AT 4033 and KSM32 are marketed as LD's, but in actuality are mid-sized.

If you were to peer through the 4033's grill it would appear to be about an inch, but that's because of a ring around it. Same thing with the Shure mic. When I first saw the two (at separate times) I assumed they were 1 inchers. But it wasn't till later that I found out that they weren't.

Speeddemon--aside from the NT1000 and 4033 what other mics have you considered as your main LD condensor?

NT1000

I have 2 and they are great..If you need a shockmount, check www.bpmmusic.com .. that's where I got mine, for half the price I could find anywhere else..be careful about overtightening them tho;Rode replaced the broken knob tho.

It's a great mic..you should be very happy with it on pretty much everything.

-Sal

Haku, I was considering these:

-AKG C3000B
-Behringer B-2
-Røde NT1000
-Studio Projects C1

next to, ofcourse the AT 4033.
The AT 4033 gets the most thumbs up here, AND it has the pad and roll-off switches.
Behringer seems to lack quality control, akg has the stupid roll-off switch at 500 hz, SP C1 is really expensive here in Holland ($314) and the Rode lacks switches. So, I figured the AT would be my best bet... ANy thoughts on that?

thanks everyone, very informative replies. as far as the intended use, well, i'm trying to amass enough quality gear over the next few years to start a good quality small analog studio. i also plan on upgrading in steps that will make it possible for me to record myself and whatever bands i'm in with better quality than the two sm57s and yamaha mt4x i have now. i play all kinds of different instruments, and the type of music i'm usually involved in is usually loud noise rock ala sonic youth and unwound, but the stuff i do on my own is usually quieter and uses more varied instrumentation. the only way i have of checking mics out now is at the milwaukee mars, through a mackie vlz mixer into some headphones. i don't think i can learn very much about how the mics will pick up guitar amps/drums etc. by jangling some keys in front of it and saying "testing," so i'm trying to get as many intelligent opinions as i can, purchase used so i can resell at around the same value, and just see what turns me on. but thanks for that rundown, haku.

electrets again :)

If you're looking for something permanent, I'd stay away from the 4033..it's an electret mic, as is the C3000b<although AKG intentionally shies away from saying that and tries to make you believe otherwise>. Electret mics slowly lose their sensitivity down the line, which according to many is only like maybe 1-2db over 10 years..it's still something to consider.. The Rode NT1000 also has a lower SN. To me personally, switches and knobs..well..they break..and it gives you more electronics in there..without any real need for any of it.

-Sal

Great thread guys

No prob Dragnalus.

Haku said:
MXL V93/2003--.......More versatile than V67; no Decent on acoustic guitar, room mic, drum overheads....

Oops. Couple of typos in that post. For that one I meant to say that they were decent on those apps. The "no" thing was supposed to be the V67 doesn't have a pad or low cut as we all know.

Hmmm. I wasn't aware of the electret issue. If it were me though, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd probably have upgraded my mic or replaced with something better by then. I think Dragnalus is looking for a great mic(s) to start out with. Ideally we should get mics that hold their value over the years, but in 10 years, you can get good mileage of an electret if that's the sound you like/need in that particular mic (vs the others).

Guardian brought up another good point with the switches thing. But hey there's always mic technique and possibly outboard gear/software plugins at our disposal right? Although switches are always convenient to have though :)

Another suggestion (donning flame retardant suit), wait a couple more weeks or so. People here will most be definitely discussing the new SP "B" line. I'm curious myself as to how they fare.

Speeddemon,
My thumbs up goes to the NT1000 and C1. I'm basing my assumption for the Rode NT1000 on listening to the NTK. I'm assuming the NT1000 would be a little brighter than the NTK since's it's the solid state version of the same capsule design. Anyhow, both companies offer great customer support and straight out just sound good. If I had a solid state LD already, I'd go along the lines of a tube condenser for a different flavor.

The 4033 would be great too if that's the mic you like right now for your tastes and needs--Just make great use of it in the 10 years or so :)

I can't remember exactly and I can't find the thread but on another thread someone stated that it was thirty years,not ten for electrets to lose that much.I wonder how audible that really is anyhow.1% to 3% doesn't seem to be that big of a loss.This is where someone's like Alan's or Harvey's experience would come in handy.Out of the condensors that I have (not counting the TB-1 I have on order :D) the only externally charged mic I own is the Mxl2001p,yippee!,it will sound just as GOOD in 20 years as it does now!:D

hmm..

I don't totally agree with Guardian. Like Randy said, the loss of Back Electret mics was maybe noticable in thr 60's or 70's, but technology has gotten advanced enough to minimalize the loss-effects. And I know lots of engineers that have been using their AT 4033's since '91 (when they came out), and still loving it. Don't forget that the AT 4033 has this 'pre-aged' diaphragm, so the soundloss/difference will not be affected much with the aging of the mic itself.
Anyway, I'll be checking that Rode NT1000 as well, to see what I like most, but I hear most people say that it can be harsh, and that the AT 4033 sounds more balanced.

I think the AKG C3000B is a no go, since that roll-off switch sucks big time...

c3b

I have 2 C3000b's, and they might not be a 'do it all' mic, but they are certainly not crappy..yes, they ARE electret tho..I found out where I heard they weren't tho..the Electronic Musician that reviewed them stated they were DC polarized, etc..oh well..mis prints. But still, they have a warm and robust sound, and have been compared to the C414B/ULS, except that the low-lows on the 414 are more detailed, as are the very highs. For a $300 mic, get an NT1000, and based solely on word-of-mouth and not experience, try a Studio Project's C1..if you hate it, I'm sure Alan will help you out.

-Sal

Back