Usefulness of an Audio Interface

Pengu1n

Just starting to branch into quality (aka not garageband) home recording. I have an acoustic electric guitar and a MIDI keyboard. I also have Reason and a Zoom H1 Digital Recorder. Using a Macbook pro with OS X and Windows 7.

So my question is: how useful is a Audio Interface for me? My keyboard has MIDI interface, the guitar can plug in via USB. I still don't have any mics, but I'd assume a USB mic would work for vocals. The zoom H1 could probably do this too. Obviously I can't play guitar and keyboard at the same time (well, practically). So what's the point of an Audio Interface? Most of the vibe I've gotten from an Audio Interface is that they're really useful for simultaneous recording, which I don't do...

Oh, also, I found myself constantly interchanging "Audio Interface" and "Mixer" while writing this. What's the difference in terms of digital home recording?

Thanks.

The Analog to digital converters in USB mics and similar inexpensive devices are not very good. You could use the Zoom as an interface, but it does not have a suitable preamp for guitar or external mic.
The basic answer to your question is "improved quality".

Yes I did read that. It was helpful, but didn't fully answer my question. It only mentions mixers twice, and both times it's when it interchanges the terms mixer and audio interface. I guess I just want some verification in that audio interfaces are mostly used for higher quality and more inputs.

A mixer takes multiple inputs and MIXES THEM down to fewer ouputs Think of a live performance with 4 singers, 4 instruments and 4 drum mics, all going to a MIXER, then the ouput being mixed down to a stereo signal to the stereo PA system.

An audio interface takes an audio signal (or multiple audio signals) and converts them to digital signal(s), which is what your computer needs to record them.

A mixer may have USB ouputs, but most often these are stereo, meaning 2 separate tracks can be recorded at one time (one panned left, the other panned right in the mixer). Very good mixers may feature separate ouputs for each input channel, these can be routed to the inputs on an audio interface. Mixers designed for recording may have multiple channel USB or Firewire outputs - up to the number of input channels they have.

Back