Used Tascam 4-trk. quality check.....???

earwhig

I have found an old second-hand Tascam 424mkII at a used music store. It is the dissconntinued model, I do believe. It's black/dark grey instead of blue. has the XRL and 1/4 jacks....ect.
My questions are:

What should I look for or how should I test it to make sure that it is in top working order? (obviously listen and record) What else? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. (such as what to look for with tape head condition...ect).

The unit has been there for a couple of months. It's kind of dusty.

The person who put it on consignment wants $250.00 They will go down to $200.00.

Is this a good price?

I currently own an old portastudio424. I want a step up in quality. Please help with any advice....or specs, links and such to help me decide on forking over my bread. I'm planning on testing 'er out later today. Thanx People's........

Last edited:
Things to look for

Plug in a Mic and make sure all the mixer channel strips work. Check the line inputs too with a keyboard or CD player.

Check all the rotary pots and faders to ensure they are not intermittent or scratchy sounding.

When looking at the head, make sure there are no scar marks from excessive wear. If the head looks worn IE scars or flat spots where the tape travels across it, stay away!

Check the rubber pinch roller to ensure it is healthy and clean looking.

When you do your recording test, test all 4 channels not just one or two.

Check the case for obvious dents or heavy scratches - cracked cases could mean the unit was dropped and internal damage in the form of cracked circuit boards inside could be present.

Cheers! :)

I also think the price is a little to high. If the unit is in real good shape I could see spending 150.00 but 200.00 and then if there is tax on that brings it up even more.
Also I dont think that your are going to get much of an upgrade from what you have for that much money.

yeah, thanks for the help. I checked it out and there were a few scratchy e.q. pots and when I picked it up(the mkII) there was something loose rattling around inside the plastic casing. Other than that it sounded fine, but I have decided to find something in better condition for a bit less. I guess my search continues.....any heads-up on some on-line retailers would be cool..........thanx again peoples..

Last edited:
Back