Used Rode NT5 matched pair pricing

dybosphere

I have a line on a used Rode NT5 matched pair, but i wanted to get some ideas from the fine folks here on what they think of the price offered.

here's the info I've been able to gather from the seller so far:

- Purchased new about a year ago
- They have both clips that come with the matched pair
- But only one windscreen (Yeah, I know, trivial)
- They do not have the case ( I think not so trivial?)

the asking price is $300

what are your thoughts? how does one calculate resale value on used mikes? or more specifically this mike package?

First of all have you seen these mics in person or are you purchasing them on line? If on line from where?

at this point, I have not seen them in person, but the seller is local so that's the next step.

right now, I'm just trying to gauge resale value to determine if it's worth the sellers and mines time to examine the goods.

My gut tells me the price is a bit high, without seeing the mics in person, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of others.

I did a quick search and found a used pair for $250. at music go round. I'm sure there are many other used pairs out there for just about the same price.

If $300. is his asking price give him a counter offer of $250. in this economy he will be sitting on them a long time at $300. For you can get them all day long new for $429. and below.

I bought a new set (I'm Australian, so this is $AUD) some years ago for 5 or 600, from memory. I sold them about a year ago to my bandmate for $400 but they were mint, and included a metal case, clips, windshields and unlimited advice as to their proper use... :D

Seems reasonable to me, but I don't know what they normally go for over wherever you are..

I've seen a pair of NT5's for $225 on craigslist before. $300 seems a bit steep to me. Especially in this economy where it's a buyers market.

If the box is not available it worries me how careful they have been looked after - someone who looks after his mics will normally keep such mics in the original box - or a custom flight case.

As has been said, the price seems high, especially without box and windshield.

OK, thanks to all who responded.

Like you said, John, the absence of the case worries me for the same reason. I asked about how they had been stored, and he said he's been keeping them in an anvil case, so that bodes well for the condition.

I counter offered $200, we'll see where that goes.

Thanks again.

OK, thanks to all who responded.

Like you said, John, the absence of the case worries me for the same reason. I asked about how they had been stored, and he said he's been keeping them in an anvil case, so that bodes well for the condition.

I counter offered $200, we'll see where that goes.

Thanks again.

Settle on $250. if he comes back with that .... or just get a new pair for about $400. with no worries and all of the accessories.

Accessories are nice. Having to buy two mic clips because you just got mics would suck. Or 2x $40 shock mounts. You'll probably buy that anyway, but you've got to keep in mind the resale value. As you don't want to lose $80 in shock mounts on the resale. Anyway, if there is no box or accessories (why would you separate them?), then I'd be more worried about them being stolen from somewhere. Thrown into some girls purse that she spilled baby powder in the day before when they were heisted, or something crazy. If used mics could talk...

I got a little shafted on a used pro-ish trumpet that I bought because it didn't have the original case. But $100 for two years rental from a certain POV isn't that bad for a $2K-ish product.

Don't pay $300. Like it or not, ebay generally sets the used price market (craigslist is usually a little lower). Used audio equipment typically goes for 40-70% of the new price.

But you can get a pair of NT5s brand new from rmcaudiodirect for $343 (with their MICS 20% discount), so why would you buy used for $300?

Back