Used my Mesa Blue Angel Thursday night ........

Lt. Bob

Spread the Daf!
........ didn't like it, much to my surprise.
I have a bunch of amps and about 6 months ago I decided they all needed to be gigged with ...... some of them have set unused for 5 or 6 years.
So I used several of them in succession and then got stuck on the Ampeg ReverbRocket for a couple of months because i really liked its clean a lot. Now I remember why I liked it so much.

Then it was time to move on and I brought out the Blue Angel which was my main amp for a couple of years ...... meh.
Didn't sound that good .... kinda spiky and thin sounding ...... surprised me.
I'll use it no matter what for a few weeks but back to the gear room it goes forever after that if it doesn't step its game up some.

Could it be that back when you used it and liked it, you were using it with different guitars, and that particular combo worked, but this combination doesn't?

If you use it some more and still don't like it, why not (gasp!) sell it?

OK, even I can't believe I just suggested that. What am I thinking? Never mind.

Physician, heal thyself.

well, yes I was using different gits.

And if I don't like it I'll definitely sell it ..... want one?

Don't know anything about it. Even if I did want it, I'm sure I can't afford it anyway.

All I know is that I'd sure dig that Mark V!

Don't know anything about it. Even if I did want it, I'm sure I can't afford it anyway.

All I know is that I'd sure dig that Mark V!
I'll prolly let it go for around $600. It may be right up your alley if you weren't broke ...... it's an unusual Mesa amp. Single channel ...... doesn't even have a master volume.
Does give you two power tube sets .... a pair of 6v6's and 4 EL84's .... you can use either or both.

It has , according to Mesa, the best reverb they ever designed and one of the things the amp was meant for was to have great'verb.

So it's probably the most blues/country oriented amp Mesa ever made.

Sounds interesting, but I definitely need a master volume. Remember, in my situation I'm all about getting the tone I want quietly. :o

I'm actually thinking about trying to swing buying another Randall Iso-Cab. Mine has a JBL in it, and I think I'd also like to try one with a Vintage 30. Then I'd have one for bass, and one for guitar, or an interesting guitar combo.

So, how do you use it with no master volume? Is it automatically loud enough for drums? Say you just set up in your house with a drummer it's good to go? I have a hard time understanding no volume knob LOL. I don't have the money for it exactly right now, but I'm kind of looking around for a good tube amp and when I have the money I'm going to buy one. I've been looking in to everything from Black Star and Jet City to Mesa Dual Rec and JCM800's. I want the best of both worlds those beautiful sparkling cleans and that full shred monster distortion. I don't want that classic rock sound I want something seriously heavy. Be nice to have an amp that doesn't need a distortion pedal to get it to that full sizzle.

Maybe you have something like that in your back in your gear room that you don't mind getting rid of :D

Oh Lt. Bob you crack me up. That kind of experience (iwht my Mesa Mark 3) prompted my thread on versatile guitar amps. Still might sell it. "no master volume" does not mean no volume knob.:eek:

Back