used mic/pre

stupidfatnugly

It has been recommended to me that I don't buy condenser or ribbon mics used, b/c who knows what damage they have. I was wondering about dynamics.

would you buy an sm7 if you didn't know the seller?

what about preamps? are they easily damaged like microphones? would it be safe to buy used?

Check it out!

[ :cool:

Yo SFU:

Sometimes "others" tend to dip beer in mics or spill wine on micpreamps too. There is SO MUCH NEW GEAR to check out, why bother with anything that may suddenly go "POOF?"

If you use a reliable vendor, you can usually stand behind your purchases. You can use the A or B denominators to buy.

I noted today that Full Compass has just put out a new catalog and the first page is nothing but microphones. Interesting to check over SO MANY mics are available with a wide variety of products. You can use a free call to FC if you want to get the latest catalog which includes a gaggle of gear.

Many folks buy used gear on the net. It's kind of crap-shoot at times. I prefer to use my vendors and get gear that is relilable and non-toxic.

Green Hornet:rolleyes::D /B]

I would say you got some bad advice. Many people on this forum, including myself, buy used mic's and pre's all the time. It is a great way to get a bargain, like my Studio Projects T-3 for only $250.00!! Most homerecording people take very good care of their equipment, so buy used and save.

Charlie

:DYo Charlie:

If you buy stuff "from" a friendly environment, a friend, etc., you can surely find used gear that usually works fine.

I guess I just see and hear about "other" types of used gear that are really abused, not just used.

But, if you find a good catch, go for it.

Green Hornet:eek::D

fwiw, I bought almost all my stuff used. I've been happy with almost all of it, and none of it was busted in a way I couldn't fix.

I won't buy handheld vocal mics used, though. Too much spit.

Do your homework before you buy. If it is to good to be true it probably is. I buy both used and new and with the exception of a few small things through the years I have never been completely burned on a piece of gear. (knock on wood)

I buy used all the time locally and on ebay. Look for someone who is reputable with their feedback. Locally meet them at their spot to try out the mics first.

I would say you got some bad advice. Many people on this forum, including myself, buy used mic's and pre's all the time. It is a great way to get a bargain, like my Studio Projects T-3 for only $250.00!! Most homerecording people take very good care of their equipment, so buy used and save.

Charlie
Agree, I've bought here, gearslutz, and ebay. Mint condition items still sell at a 20% discount to new, and you're getting the same thing. I would say well over half my studio gear was purchased used. Just buy from guys with good reputations. If you can't verify that, don't buy. Do that and you'll save lots of cash.

For example, Right now I've got two items for sale in the gear for sale thread. One, I haven't used, I just need the cash for something else, the other I've used for 4 months. Someone is going to get a good deal.

what would be the best thing that I could add to my studio with these options:

1) an sm7 (I have an sm57 and a baby bottle currently)

2) a mic pre( just have the mbox2 currently)

3) plug-ins( I just have stock protools ones)

Oh, and right now I'm concentrating on vocals; trying to learn how to make the best of them.

I want the sm7 to take the small room sound away - which I have; a pre for quality and a good plug-in or two to give me more of an analog warm sound.

trying to figure out how to spend the next $500

Ya I would go for the SM7 but you kind of need a preamp for that. Stick with a decent pre first and record with the 57 til you have enough money for the sm7!

Agree, I've bought here, gearslutz, and ebay. Mint condition items still sell at a 20% discount to new, and you're getting the same thing. I would say well over half my studio gear was purchased used. Just buy from guys with good reputations. If you can't verify that, don't buy. Do that and you'll save lots of cash.

I buy bargains second hand all the time. if my requirement is a stereo pair, I buy them new, together. Only one pair were a proper matched pair. Blown out ribbons are a common problem and I have bought two ebay ones that I sent back. Condensers either are perfect, or crackle in my experience. Distance selling regs here mean returns are preapproved from business sellers and with ebay usually from ordinary sellers too.
the biggest issue for me is smell. A mic from a smoker is disgusting. Some mics have cleanable front ends, but many don’t. I steam clean removable grills which seems to clean foam safely most times, but I have one D202 vintage mic that still stinks after two years and I can’t even put it in the mic box. Sounds great but I can’t be in the room with it.

Other than the smell I have no concerns with second hand, far from it. I look for bargains all the time. If you buy second hand, it’s always a risk, so buy from a source that has returns. Even ebay allows returns when they are faulty or not as described. It might cost you the return postage but that’s it!

Agree.. many many times have bought used and in general the HR stuff is alright.
Recently noticed however, old budget gear failing on me.
Stuff from the 1990s or 2008...budget old rack units developing meters burning out, channels dying, crackling knobs that dont go away....

Microphones I'm more skeptical and prefer new, but man! when a expensive mic is half off , roll the dice?

imo the used prices are often silly these days and as Ive mentioned before, like a SM7b new at $350, im not paying $325 for a used one. (Especially when Front End Audio has free shipping and no tax.).
The high priced used stuff is a joke, when you add shipping and tax and its nearly as much as a brand new one with warranty and 30day return.

For example, a bad deal... I just bought 2qty used Art units from two different used dealers and both were crap and old, one refunded my cash and the other didnt... the unit brand new was only $215, but I paid $135 and $165 and about got burnt on two old units both faulty or soon to be. But my Grace Design unit for example, is like brand new and still runnng, my used KRK USA speakers are very very old, but still blaring loud and my DynAudio BM5 monitors used are still in beautiful health and old.

Another thought is buying old obsolete stuff can go bad, a unit failed on me and the OEM isnt interested in repairing and has no parts because its old and obsolete maybe 15+yrs ago. So now its a dead channel and not worth spending money on as its budget stuff...lol

I try to stay away from used live gear, its often been dropped or puked on.

Guitar Center charges tax, and shipping, but often its worth it to order pickup in store. You can try the unit before leaving the store....several times I get a refund right then if its a piece of crap and never take it out of the store.

For preamps, solid states seem to be less troublesome, imo. The budget tube preamps seem to be the worst. As I mentioned especially when hitting 10+yrs, ...its old budget gear, like a ART piece for $250 & 10yrs old, when a new one is $350. Just get a new one. imo. The old one will probably have a meter go out, then maybe a channel etc.. my experience.

good luck...

This thread has the most impressive response gap on the internet. :D

To contribute, I’ve had nothing but good experiences buying used gear from individuals. It’s when they do it as a business that you get garbage sellers. If I see “Bob’s Basement” with 5 stars on reverb, I know I’m good. If it’s “Bob’s Music Store” with a no-return policy, you’re gonna have a bad time. They just don’t give a shit because they never had a personal attachment to the gear. I’ve learned to avoid them no matter how good the deal looks.

It has been recommended to me that I don't buy condenser or ribbon mics used, b/c who knows what damage they have. I was wondering about dynamics.

what about preamps? are they easily damaged like microphones? would it be safe to buy used?

Most of my studio gear was purchased on the used market.

I've been searching for particular mics from the 70s and two came to the UK from the US and two came from Finland - all were perfect. Buying any used mic does have a contamination element - but most can be sanitised quite simply.

Im recalling a few used mics I bought used.
Rode NTV from Japan, mint condition.
Several SM81 old "us made" excellent condition.
SM7b used...like new....although replaced the foam spittle parts.
AKG..used...like new.

for SM57, 58's I have bought new. MXL seem to always be cheap enough to be brand new.

again, tube stuff....
Used WA47 tube was marginal, replaced.
Used ART tube stuff, bad vu meters, bad tubes,
Used Aphex tube stuff, channels died,
Used UA LA610...1 of 3, crackling pots that didnt go away with cleaning

so Transformer, FET and SS stuff seems to be a better bet while tube-gear you might want a "return policy" setup.

I dont have any real experience with Ribbon mics. Seems they could be tempermental if not cared for.

Many years with a used SM7b and a used Audio Technica AT4050. The only "problem" with either of these fine affordable microphones is getting my friends
to stop borrowing them... Seriously, I cannot foresee a time where I won't find a use for them.

Back