Use a USB Microphone with a Tascam DR07X ??

Petlyn

Hi thanks for calling in !!

I normally use a very nice quiet expensive USB mike into my home studio Pro Tools (bit overkill eh) got rid of my main stuff many years ago so recently treated myself to a Tascam DR07X to record live a very nice machine but only used it so far with the built in microphones but would like to use it with my USB mike big problem.

Being USB obviously the mike has to be powered and the 07X input is a 3.5mm unpowered input so I am STUCK up the river without a paddle. Have looked on line for a 'powered' adapter but found nothing I thought at least maybe a small mixer perhaps 4 channel but with USB in's, big NO.

Any ideas folks ?? THANKS

I wouldn't worry too much. You are not going to be disadvantaged using the Tascam's built-in mikes. USB mikes suffer from their lack of flexibility. Instead of looking at buying a small mixer, just bet a non-USB mike if you feel you need to go down that path. Maybe consider the Rode wireless Go if you want to be a bit more adventurous. That will work with the 3.5mm input.

I wouldn't worry too much. You are not going to be disadvantaged using the Tascam's built-in mikes. USB mikes suffer from their lack of flexibility. Instead of looking at buying a small mixer, just bet a non-USB mike if you feel you need to go down that path. Maybe consider the Rode wireless Go if you want to be a bit more adventurous. That will work with the 3.5mm input.

Hi Grumpy (love it) thanks.

I realised I have not much more to gain but what I need to do is completely 'separate' the tracks and have a backing track on one channel and me on the mike. I play sax and clari and need to do a sample recording. So lets put you in the picture I have a small 4 track standard 3.5 or 1/4 in's mixer which maybe I can utilise but also have an assortment of Electret mikes but the result is VERY poor (quality) compared with the USB.

Yes agree the Rode is being not only adventurous but requiring a trip to the bank manager unless you can offer me one as a sample, no it needs to be a little less expensive maybe around 4 and 6 pence halfpenny (yes I'm a very old guy).

Grateful thanks for your thoughts

Pete

The snag really is nobody wants to do what you need - as a general rule, USB mics are niche products - for convenience really, but some are nice. The Tascam again is a little niche - it doesn't have the usual preamp designs that allow phantom power and external mics. The 3.5mm jack is a handy thing for people with external unbalanced stereo sources, but that's a bit limited too - so the net result - a USB input capable device with 3.5mm unbalanced out is just not a sales maker?

I don't think there is a solution to this one off the shelf that doesn't cost - you could buy a MacBook, or you could buy a new mic, but that's really the only option I think.

The snag really is nobody wants to do what you need - as a general rule, USB mics are niche products - for convenience really, but some are nice. The Tascam again is a little niche - it doesn't have the usual preamp designs that allow phantom power and external mics. The 3.5mm jack is a handy thing for people with external unbalanced stereo sources, but that's a bit limited too - so the net result - a USB input capable device with 3.5mm unbalanced out is just not a sales maker?

I don't think there is a solution to this one off the shelf that doesn't cost - you could buy a MacBook, or you could buy a new mic, but that's really the only option I think.

Thanks Rob interesting ideas and unfortunately agree with you 100% its Supply & Demand but thought "there may be" !!

Interesting that you mention a MacBook I have one that I don't even switch on !! P......

OK, not sure but, any USB power, like for a tablet, powered hub, etc. would power the mic and then check to see if it would output through the 3.5. If you have a USB wall power supply, just try that.

Seriously? With your USB mic, I'd give it a go!

Yes Rob 'seriously' I was just about to reply and you beat me to it. Yes it works a dream but of course it's a little 'overkill' but what the heck at least it has 'fixed' the problem and also allowed me to check my other USB mikes too and compare the result I didn't give the MB a thought I've had it since 1066 and never use it.

It's a little bigger than what I was 'hoping' to have found on line but never mind problem solved thanks to you.

Grateful Keep Safe P...

OK, not sure but, any USB power, like for a tablet, powered hub, etc. would power the mic and then check to see if it would output through the 3.5. If you have a USB wall power supply, just try that.

Yes problem solved thanks to Rob thanks for your input Pete

Back