Use 12 mics to record drums with antelope studio synergy core, edge duo and scarlett 18i20 1st gen

TIUNON80

Hello guys, I have four Neumann KM184 for overheads,hi-hat and ride, two Shure SM57 for top and bottom snare, one Avantone SubKick, one akg D112 for kick,tree sennheiser MD421 for toms and floor tom and an Antelope Edge duo for the room then I have an antelope studio synergy core and a Scarlett 18i20 1st gen.
Now I connected all mics except the Edge Duo on Orion, because I'd like to use antelope preamps and I have an empty line I can't use for Edge Duo because it has a Y-splitter cable and so I connected it on 18i20 that I connected via adat to the Orion but I can't use the mic emulations because I should connect it to the antelope interface.
How do you suggest me to connect all that stuff? And which settings(sample rate,etc) do you suggest me? Thanks.

Well, what I read said the Antelope Energy Core has 12 mic pres and 12 line inputs so if they’re combo inputs and not separate why not start with the Edge Duo going into that, and if you fill up all the inputs, put some of the others (room mics? Snare?) into the F-rite and take its ADAT out to the Orion. Configure master/slave or word clock control with whatever s/w Antelope provides. If you have less than 4 inputs in the 18i20 you can go up to 96kHz, if that’s your pleasure.

How do you suggest me to connect all that stuff?
This is a bit over my head, but
which settings(sample rate,etc) do you suggest me?
I say as high as you can, definitely WAV. You can't go wrong with that, as long as you have storage for that kind of size, for that number of tracks. I'll should add -- I've found that ZIP-ing files from past projects really helps control storage.

Well, what I read said the Antelope Energy Core has 12 mic pres and 12 line inputs so if they’re combo inputs and not separate why not start with the Edge Duo going into that, and if you fill up all the inputs, put some of the others (room mics? Snare?) into the F-rite and take its ADAT out to the Orion. Configure master/slave or word clock control with whatever s/w Antelope provides. If you have less than 4 inputs in the 18i20 you can go up to 96kHz, if that’s your pleasure.
Thanks for reply...So I should put edge duo on first and second Antelope's preamps, then I put AKG d112 on third preamp, the avantone subkick on fourth preamp,two sm57 for snare on fifth and sixth preamps,three md421 for toms and floor tom on seventh,eighth and ninth preamps, two Neumann km184 for hi-hat and ride on tenth and eleventh preamps and two Neumann km184 on first and second 18i20's preamps? And I didn't understand what to do with 12 line inputs...

This is a bit over my head, but

I say as high as you can, definitely WAV. You can't go wrong with that, as long as you have storage for that kind of size, for that number of tracks. I'll should add -- I've found that ZIP-ing files from past projects really helps control storage.
Thank you.

Thanks for reply...So I should put edge duo on first and second Antelope's preamps, then I put AKG d112 on third preamp, the avantone subkick on fourth preamp,two sm57 for snare on fifth and sixth preamps,three md421 for toms and floor tom on seventh,eighth and ninth preamps, two Neumann km184 for hi-hat and ride on tenth and eleventh preamps and two Neumann km184 on first and second 18i20's preamps? And I didn't understand what to do with 12 line inputs...
Yes - seems rather complicated for recording drums - You are using the Duo for the Room Mics? I would put the 4 KM184s on the Scarlett and then the rest on the Orion - you aren't going to notice the different between the Orion and the Scarlett on those signals.

48K, 32 works for me - and I agree with the thing about orion vs scarlett.

You're also working a rule - as in predicting what you need rather than putting them out once you've heard the drums played, That's the moment I then add, or remove mics. Swapping the 57 on snare for something more delicate when you discover the players a jazzer and doing clever stuff. I rarely follow a list, and on my own recordings, a bottom snare has never been needed. Sometimes I put one there, but it rarely features if you get the top mic right!

96Khz is too much, right?
The purpose of the sampling frequency selection is, essentially, to insure that all the audible range is captured. For esoteric, technical details, the upper range is limited to 1/2 the sampling frequency; i.e., 44.1/48kHz are more than adequate, *especially* for a drum kit (IMHO). 96kHz will gobble up bus capacity and disk space at twice the [48kHz] rate; and, well, it is a bigger number, so good for marketing. But, I'd bet a dozen donuts that nobody will know or can hear the difference.

Posting identical posts on three forums, thanks Google, is a bit excessive. Pretty much they all say the same too! Bar Gearspace, where nobody bothered.

Ok, thank you. I have another question...I have a soundcraft efx16...could it help me to make something even in mixing and mastering or should I sell it?

Last edited:
Back