USB to MIDI PLEASE HELP!!

Johnmcmanus

Hello,
I am new to this form but maybe someone can help me out.

Basically I have this digital piano that has a brand that the internet has barely heard of

Its called "Berkely RP1"

to cut a long story short, I want to use this piano as a MIDI controller in order to control VST instruments in my DAW (ableton Live 8.2.2). The piano does have MIDI in/out ports so I got this MIDI to USB cable that doesn't even have a brand which i bought off ebay for about £3.

Its designed to plug and play but of course I encountered an error.

I plugged in the midi cables into the midi ports IN to OUT and OUT to IN and then the USB in to my computer (running windows 7 if that's of any relevance) then i opened up ableton.

When I went into the MIDI sync tab, it had this info

input: usb2.0 MIDI
output: microsoft gs wavetable blah something or other
output: usb2.0 MIDI
output: MIDIOUT2 (usb2.0-MIDI)

track was on for the input, however when i pressed any key on my piano, there was no midi being triggered.
furthermore, no lights would blink on MIDI - USB interface

ultimately i narrowed it down to the piano being the problem; there is no setting on it to put it into midi or even select a midi channel. Nothing.

I have no idea what to do
any suggestions?

I don't know. Try using another usb port. I was having problems with my midi controller via dedicated usb out on controller, wouldn't work until I tried another port. Maybe? That's all I got.

Look in the manual for your piano. Sometimes you have to enable the midi out (I think mine said 'local echo' or something to that effect but that's been 5 years ago....)

I looked in the manual and it basically gave me the most basic lesson about what midi is :facepalm:
I discovered the piano can receive MIDI in it just cant send data out

Thank you anyway :)

Back