usb tascam question

47ronin

tascam USB questions

I have a few questions about the us-428 interface. Is it bus powered, or will it need to be plugged into something? Also, from what I can understand from the specifications it does not have onboard preamps.....is this true?

also this may be a stupid question, but if it has 8 faders how would one mix a song with more than 8 tracks....i can think of several ways but are any of them super easy and painfree....

thanks

47ronin

ps i am aware of the limitations of usb audio! (the tascam FW thing does look sweet, though)

hope this helps

it's bus powered. I have used one for a few years now with Cubase, and its a sweet little unit when it comes time to really work with Audio files onscreen. The shuttle wheel makes life much easier.

it doesnt have onboard preamps, but I rarely use the inputs. I use it just for its faders, pan control, shuttle wheel, and transport bar. I mainly use my SPDIF and Delta card to input into the computer. But it would still do the trick if I had to use it's inputs.

there is a bank selector switch that will instantly tranform faders 1-8 into 9-17, and so on...giving you control over all your channell faders.....combine this with the automation in the recording software, and you can spend days doing shit...

All in all, a good unit and ive been happy with it.

Ghettowayz. Are you sure you're talking about the 428?
The 428 does have preamps (no phantom power but still) and does need to be powered from an external PSU.
I don't own one or used one but I am familiar with the unit since I considered getting one myself.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back