USB Recording Devices Question

Bob's Mods

Anyone ever use those USB recording boxes? I am eyeballing the Edirol UA-1EX to interface my preamp to my DAW. I really only want an external stand alone convertor box to connect my preamp to without spending a fortune. I've used S/PDIF a lot but never USB. Can I record my layered track stacks with the same ease as I have done with S/PDIF? I only record one track at a time.

Bob

OK Bob, I'll bite on this one. :-)

Never used Edirol before (I used one of the first Tascam USB boxes a few years ago and it was alright for single track use), but Roland is a solid company, been in the business for years. Solid drvier support too - I looked at their download section and seems like they've got you well covered.

One niggle - I can't seem to find anywhere on the specs if this UA-1EX is USB 1 or USB 2. Before I purchased it I would call them and ask.
If USB 1, then I would be a bit hesitant. I know this is a simple box without a lot of bells and whistles, but USB 1 is very bandwidth limited. If it's USB 2, then I'd be much more comfortable with it. (12mbits vs 480mbits is quite a bit)

My only thought would be for $75...maybe you could pay just a little more and get a better box, such as one w/ full duplex recording if you ever want to do more than one track at a time later. The firewire boxes seem to be the most popular, but I'm sure USB 2.0 box would be ok.

Hope that helps for what it's worth.
Jed

Back