USB MIDI causing audio noise!!

Terry

I am running CWPA9 on a PII 350mHz w/128mb RAM and a SB Live! card. I recently bought an Opcode MIDIport 96 USB interface (I know, they're out of business). The problem is that when I'm recording any audio, if any MIDI data is being sent through the interface at the same time (even a simple click track to my Alesis D4) I get a lot of pops and clicks in the audio track. If no data is sent while recording audio, everything comes out fine. I have performed numerous tests and have found that, indeed, the USB interface is the cause of the problem. I have posted this several times on the Cakewalk Power website, but we haven't come up with an answer yet. Has anybody had this problem when using a USB MIDI interface?? I need help!!! Thanks.

This problem is indeed a hard one to solve. I've had the same problem using a serial port to my sound module. There's nothing worst than having "data streaming" sounds in your music. I finally figured out that I had to change the output of my card to "serial" instead of "XG" in the card's configuration (cheap Yamaha OEM card). I don't know what kind of port settings the SB Live card offers but I would definitely start there. Go in control panel, click on the SB Live icon and try changing the output settings. It's usually easy, they give you a choice and you can change it with the click of the mouse. I have a friend with an SB Live card. I'll check it out when I have a chance and re-post my findings.

Hmmm... I don't know. I've looked at the MIDI settings on the sound card, but I don't know how to change anything that would seem to fix it.

Right now, I don't even know that the sound card is the problem. I use one hard drive for both processing and audio, so it could be that the drive is causing glitches because it is trying to operate the USB port and record audio at the same time. Normally, the SB Live would handle the MIDI data. I have currently have a workaround using a MIDI patchbay, but I would rather fix the initial problem once and for all. Thanks for the reply. Let me know if you come up with anything.

Back