USB Microphones, just won't work

mustaeki

I have windows 7, a long time ago before I bought my previous mic, I remember buying a USB one first. I took it back because it was way too quiet, even at 100%, and since it is USB you can't use a DB boost.

I bought another USB today (A wireless, not like that really matters), a year after my last mic, a Logitech H800. Again, everything is way too quiet. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just something on my end. Both of these mics were Logitechs, and I'm just beginning to think that Logitech sucks a big one. Every support thing I've ever seen just says "Oh make sure you go into your Sound settings and put it up to the max"... I mean, don't you think everybody would have tried that?

Is there really anything else I can do to try and get this one working more efficiently? I am going back to return it and get a replacement one, but I'd rather just figure this one out before going through all of the trouble again if it is just my PC.

Edit: Tested in on a Laptop running Vista, the mic is just buggered I guess. Don't think I'll buy from Logitech ever again

If you want to do any serious recording, no, don't buy Logitech. With respect, they're better known for making keyboards and wireless mice. Any microphone they make will be aimed at gamers and people making Skype calls, not at proper recording.

Having said that, how are you judging that it's too low a level? The only real way is to feed it into your DAW and check the meters there. Going by ear can lead to wrong impressions.

Anyway, what are you hoping to do with the microphone? That's makes a huge difference in terms of what people will recommend--the best option for recording game commentary is very different than picking up the subtleties of an acoustic guitar. However, a word of warning--I doubt any suggested solutions will be anywhere near the Logitech price. "Real" mics cost real money.

If you want to do any serious recording, no, don't buy Logitech. With respect, they're better known for making keyboards and wireless mice. Any microphone they make will be aimed at gamers and people making Skype calls, not at proper recording.

Having said that, how are you judging that it's too low a level? The only real way is to feed it into your DAW and check the meters there. Going by ear can lead to wrong impressions.

Anyway, what are you hoping to do with the microphone? That's makes a huge difference in terms of what people will recommend--the best option for recording game commentary is very different than picking up the subtleties of an acoustic guitar. However, a word of warning--I doubt any suggested solutions will be anywhere near the Logitech price. "Real" mics cost real money.

It's just for gaming and the occasional video recording, I don't do commentaries though, but it needs to be on par with the game's audio.

I have a logitech analog 3.5mm Headset, but of course a few months in it turned to crap and I had to use +30DB to even have it be heard. This distorts my voice and makes the quality worse.

At the FutureShop I went to, it was the only Wireless + USB + Good reviewed + Good priced + On sale mic available, so I chose it, against my morals of not liking Logitech mics.

I know it is low because I recorded some audio and it had no spikes at all, my speaker volume was at nearly max (I have it on the lowest all of the time and it's the perfect level) and I could barely hear myself, and it is low in the Recording Devices panel, barely past one bar.

It's just for gaming and the occasional video recording,

You do know this site is for recording music, right?? We're not about gaming and don't have a collective knowledge base about USB mics except to avoid them for recording music. Perhaps you could look for a gaming forum to ponder your question.

Good luck.

I understand that some gamers have success with headsets from Senheisser. But I am not a gamer, and this site *is* primarily about music and voice artist recording.

Anyway, all the best getting your issues sorted.

Back