USB mic Interface Help

zipline7020

So over the past few years, I have acquired and come to love the sound of the Blue yeti, and its different Directional settings.
I have begun to podcast with people and record others singing, both of which require multiple listeners. Im wondering how i can use my USB mic to record into my computer, which could then be sent to my audio interface for myself and other party members to monitor. preferably without a lot of latency.

upon research i found out theres no cord that would connect it straight to the interface (which i use for straight plug synths and guitar modelers *budget!*) So that means during vocals i need to just use it for monitoring somehow, because the monitoring system on the mic is not ideal for multiple people. And I really don't want to by another mic that can go between omni, stereo, dual, and cardiod, due to money.

You have just found out why no one here recommends USB mics! On some O/S or DAWs (I don't know which ones), you may be able to select 2 USB devices, one as your input device, one as your output device.
Your best bet is to trade in the USB mic for one that plugs into your interface.

a usb mic has an audio interface chip built into it.
to keep the cost down (and due to them being mainly used by podcasters) you lose a lot of functionality.
low-latency asio drivers specify ONE driver instance so you just cant gang devices up easily.

long story short, when you start wanting to competently record music, you want to dump usb mics and get a real asio audio interface.
yes it costs a little bit of money but you are gaining capabilities that would have astounded a multi-million dollar studio owner just a few decades ago.

yea, about 6 months ago I got a Scarlet 2i2 and a Behringer HA400 (for multiple listeners)
and I got the Yeti about 3 years ago as a gift. Until now I have just been switching back and forth between the two and it wasn't so bad. but now with the multiple listeners, its kind of unideal .....does anyone else know of an xlr mic that has all the different directional abilities of the yeti without too much cost?

I'll look into that, its about 200,
also i just saw that they now have a blue yeti with xlr instead of usb thats like 145. But i also saw the Rode Nt1-A, which though doesn't have the directional abilities, sounds great.

Though a lot of people say the blue yeti isn't good for proper recording due to it's usb, i recorded a room full of opera singers, and it sounded great! So I might try the pro, unless anyone has more to say about the AKG?

Back