USB Keyboard Recording Help - Volume Too Quiet

twitchittnoise

I have an M-Audio ProKeys Sono 88 keyboard which I am using as a MIDI controller. I have been connecting it via USB straight to my laptop (PC, Windows 7), and it works this way except that the volume is too quiet. I have been using Cubase (and previously NanoStudio), and it seems that I have the gain for my MIDI track turned up as high as it can be turned up without causing red light flashies (forgive my lack of terminology) and distortion, but it is still much too quiet compared to my vocal tracks.

One of my tracks can be found here:
soundcloud.com/twitchitt/pepper-recorded-produced-by

Of course I lowered the voice volume to match the MIDI, but when I listen to other songs compared to mine, others are much louder.

I have had this issue in both NanoStudio and Cubase. I have an interface which I can route through with a MIDI cable, but am wondering if this will solve my problems, or is it a Sound Card issue?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
twitchitt

Midi isn't sound, it is data. Data that tells your sequencer/virtual instrument what to play and at what time/velocity. The volume of the instrument comes from your sequencer/virtual instrument. Turn it up, if you want it louder.

Your example sounds fine to me, just not mastered and a tad low.

What are you using to monitor/listen to your sound?

Ok so running it through the interface wouldn't help then. I have the master volume and the voice volume cranked on my keyboard. It sounds fine on a computer with earbuds, but VERY quiet on a home stereo or car stereo.

Midi isn't sound, it is data. Data that tells your sequencer/virtual instrument what to play and at what time/velocity. The volume of the instrument comes from your sequencer/virtual instrument. Turn it up, if you want it louder.

Your example sounds fine to me, just not mastered and a tad low.

What are you using to monitor/listen to your sound?

Back