USB KEYB and Midisport 4x4

Modern_Talking

ok . . . one more issue.

My MIDI controller keyboard has a USB connection too and I've connected that to the USB on my COmputer.

My Midisport also has a USB connection and is also connected to my computer.

My 4 sound modules (midi in's and out's) are connected respectedly. (in's to out's and out's to in's).

Now when my computer is turned off, I cannot trigger my modules sounds when I hit any keys on the keyboard (keyboard is set to USB).

When I power up the computer and when I load up my sequencer program, then when I hit the keys on the leyboard, the sounds play.

How can I setup the keyboard to play the sound from the module, weather the computer is on or off. Everytime I have to turn on my computer and the sequencer too for the sound to play. . .

The USB on my keyboard is the only cable that is connected to my computer. the MIDI in and out's are not connected to anything. is that the reason why ?

the rest like I said above, my module's in/outs are connected to the midisport, which is USB connected to the computer's USB.

thanks.

hmmm... how about running the keyboard MIDI OUT to one of the midisport's in? then set each of your sound modules to respond to a differant midi channel? then it should work without the cpu.

however..

I'm not sure if the midisport will let you do what you want without the cpu being turned on.

And remember if all else fails RTM.

I've got both Midisport 2x2 and 4x4

the 2x2 has a MIDI through switch that allows you to connect and play instruments without having the PC turned on. The 4x4 does not have such a button but it may have an internal auto function that still allows the MIDI signals to pass internaly. I'll check the (small) manual later...

You will need to use the midi thru feature if you want to run them with the comp off. You will need to have ac adapters for this to work and the midi controllers midi out will also be use (instead of the usb). For working with the comp on but no sequencer running, use a software patch program like midi-ox (which is the swiss army knife for midi btw)

According to the manual, unlike the 2x2 or 8x8, you cannot run the 4x4 in "stand alone mode". And the only way you can power this device is by having it connected to your PC via USB and having the PC booted up.

thank you all for the replies but like everyone mention above, the midisport will only work when the computer is on and running through usb. . . .

So what i did was get a midi patch bay or should I say, I pulled out my old midi patchbay. . . This solved the problem . . .

This way, I'm still connect the old way (usb keyboard connenected to the PC, midi keyboard's midi out connect to the in on the patch bay. sound modules connected to the in's on the patch bay etc and I can still trigger the sounds from the module without turning on the PC . . . . Only difference is, I have to switch the MIDI/USB switch on the keyboard when using either one.

So, I guess like they say . . . Old gear do come handy 1 day . . heheh ! :D

Thanks for all the help guys . . . . Good day to all !

Back