USB interface, or USB Mixer?

ColdToTheTouch

Just bought an older MobilePRE USB interface. Figured it out pretty well. Im used to using portastudios, so this is my first time using a DAW. Well, this interface has alot of unwanted noise. messed with the buffer and latency settings, with not much improvement, but its time to upgrade and get alittle more serious. so I plan on buying a brand new interface, instead of a used one off EBAY. I like the feel of using a mixer, so I was just curious if anybody was interested in laying down a few pros and cons for me comparing an interface like the MBOX or a usb mixer like the Allen and Heath Zed 10 USB Mixer. Can you use the usb mixer the same way as an interface? im going to do some research as well, but id like to hear what you guys think. Ive been using Presonus StudioOne to lay down my tracks, and I do my mixing/mastering in FL Studio if that helps at all.. thanks everyone, sorry for being a pain in the ass

Unless you have a specific other use for a mixer, generally interface > mixer for recording.

That said, I hear good things about that particular brand. If you do get a mixer, check it allows direct outs for each in via the USB, not just a stereo out.

Why pay for a whole bunch of sliders and controls etc. that you're not going to use? Do the quality equation, especially if your mixer and proposed interface have the same number of inputs and are about the same cost.

I'd suggest the interface too,Armisice's right. Unless you're having another user for a mixer the interface is the choice to make!

Why is interface better than usb mixer? With mixer u can have effects added like reverb/delay. It's more versatile. There's no aux out on an interface.

Why is interface better than usb mixer? With mixer u can have effects added like reverb/delay. It's more versatile. There's no aux out on an interface.
Normally you will want to record dry and add effects as a part of mixing. As a general rule, if you get a good take but the effect is bad, then, well, you are screwed. But that has little to do whether you use a mixer or not. I use a mixer, but before the interface (not USB) just for the connections and the preamps.

So, you probably want to hold the effects until after the take. Now, I record wet so I can here the effect, that is why latency is important to me.

Hope this answers your question.

So why do you hook up the mixer to the audio interface again? What purpose does that serve?

If you are asking me, I use the preamps and connections and it is just easier. I still only have two channels but each connection is either hard left or right for each channel.

Now then Cold..'
You are the exception that proves the rule! MOST noobs see all the pretty knobs and ***t on a cheap ass usb mixer and say " Surely that must be better than that boring AI ? Only got four knobs?!!"

But you Sir have picked on one of the few really decent usb mixers on the market. I have a ZED10 usb FX and it is superb. But I don't use the usb function! I run the Main outs into a 2496 soundcard. I have however tried out the usb side and it is very, very good for a 16bit device (IIRC it had a noise floor of about -87dBFS) .

So, as someone else pointed out, mixers, especially good ones, have a lot of stuff on them that you won't get on any AI at any sane price. Very good pre amps with gain and channel level control, High pass filter, EQ* pan, aux and FX send and returns. And of course with my version, pretty decent on board FX (you CAN monitor with "ego" verb and not record it)

If all that gizzmoidery is attractive and useful to you, get a zed. If not buy an NI KA6! (ok Bobbs?!) . If you have a desktop PC you can of course go my route and install a soundcard and there is none better for the money than the M-A 2496. This will allow 24bit recording. If a laptop you could eventually go for a decent usb AI and run the mixer into the line inputs.

*Yeah I know it is custom and practice to record flat (except HPF ) but he can 'speriment can't he?

Dave.

Back