USB C to 1/4" audio

ejb

My goal is to connect the audio output of an iPad 10 (USB C port only, no 1/8" headphone jack) to a Focusrite audio interface. Apple has no such adapters, but I have found two that may work.

1. USB - C to 1/4" TRS
2. USB - C to Y 1/4" TRs

If a channel on the Focusrite will accept and process stereo from a TRS 1/4" plug into one channel, then choice 1 may work.
If the Focusrite will not process stereo from a single channel then option 2 with the 1/4" plugs into two channels may work.

Any experience with this out there? Suggestions?

The cables are intended to get audio into a hifi or s speaker, so they should do the trick - I don't think the focus rite has a jack stereo input does it? The C to two ¼" would seem the one I'd buy.

Does the iPad 10 send ANALOGUE audio out of a USB C port then? If so that is bloody daft. USB ports all have DC on them and DC and audio should never mix!

AFAICT the latest iPhones and pads ONLY deliver audio via BlueTooth.

Dave.

Does the iPad 10 send ANALOGUE audio out of a USB C port then? If so that is bloody daft. USB ports all have DC on them and DC and audio should never mix!

Dave.
Nope, I'm pretty sure iPhones and iPads feed audio through the USB-C port. The older ones did the same through the Lightning port, so you needed a dongle to access it.

Nope, I'm pretty sure iPhones and iPads feed audio through the USB-C port. The older ones did the same through the Lightning port, so you needed a dongle to access it.
Well that is not the information I have been able to find but if true it is a rubbish idea. A major player in the computer/phone/pad industry using a deeply historical connector protocol for a purpose it was never designed for is stupid IMO and potentially dangerous to equipment.

We here are always cautioning people about phantom power. PPwr is not the coruscating supply some seem to fear but it should never appear on anything other than XLRs. Phantom power has a very low short circuit current capability. USB C (aka 3.0) has close to an amp and could cause carnage to some devices. USB ports SHOULD be short protected but, 'It'APPEN!

Dave.

USB C can send analogue or digital data to headphones, but there is not a standard - with a phone, usually it works, but not always.

There are USB-C to analog out adapters, and folks do say they work, but as mentioned, Apple does not sell either an adapter or wired USB-C earbuds (too much profit in AirPods, I suspect). I would go cheap to test this. (The USB-C connector was a surprise, I guess the EU is getting its way finally. Farewell Lightning port...)

Now, There is no such thing as a stereo input in any Focusrite, so you will need a splitter. I would start with the more common USB-C to 3.5mm adapter (Amazon link) and confirm you get audio with a set of [wired] earbuds, and then, if that works, get a short-ish 3.5mm stereo to 1/4" pair splitter (another A link) to plug into separate combo jacks on the Focusrite. Now, if you need to capture the iPod output while you record another input, and you only have two inputs on your Focusrite, then instead of the splitter, you'd want a 3.5mm stereo to 1/4" mono (the final link).

BUT, if you're really just trying to capture the audio from the iPod, and not record, well, just plug the iPod into the computer and set that as the input device in your settings, as @mjbphotos suggests.

Good luck.

Apple does make a USB-C to minijack breakout.
I have obviously been living with my head in the sand... But, only $9 (USD)? I am amazed. (And wonder if it's actually "Apple" branded - their *packaging* would typically cost that much!)

Had a Look and that 'C' plug looks big enough to hold a DAC. I have a USB 2.0 dongle that converts analogue both ways and it is not much bigger than that. My dongle only cost about £12 iirc.

We all know in this electronics world, if there is a need for a gizzmo and it CAN be made, China will make it for nanties! And two fingers to Apple.

Dave.

Dave.
The only port on current iPads is one C usb. It serves as analog audio and digital input/output for the tablet.

Dave.
Yes it will send analog out or digital.

The USC C port on the latest iPads serves 3 purposes. Charging, digital I/O, and analog out. It knows what is connected and acts accordingly. Same for MacBook. You do not need Bluetooth to get analog audio out, just an adapter to cable connect anything. A USB C to TRS 1/4" worked fine for inputing analog out from iPad to a Focusrite. There was no need for USB C to two TRs, the USB C to TRS into one channel delivered the full sound. Pretty cool. The Focusrite jacks function for XLR, TRS and TR. So now, I can play a virtual instrument on GarageBand iPad and record it to a GarageBand Mac. Plugging the iPad directly to the Mac did not work for me. It was not recognized as an input source on GarageBand Mac, but when plugged into the Focusrite the signal is automatically recognized.

It is pretty amazing how there are no impedance mismatch issues with all the connections. Now to figure out how to get a 12 string acoustic with a passive pickup, coming from insert one click method to GarageBand. The guitar sounds great over the sound systems speakers but terrible on a recording, so far. I am recording during live performance so my only option if off the channel insert out. What I am getting is a thin nasty sounding recording no EQ or Effects seem to be able to correct. I may try turning on INST at the Focusrite. Maybe the signal is so weak it will not process well.

Last edited:
Back