USB Blue Snowball Microphone: Records but cant hear in headphones

jmflu

I got a blue snowball microphone and had 2 problems.

On XP, I can get it recognized and record stuff (I use Acid Pro) but while I am recording (with headphones) I dont hear anything in the head phones. Where do I change these settings?

2nd problem,

On vista, I found a setting to 'listen through this device' which when I selected allowed me to hear myself in the headphones but there was a lag of probably a second which I am going to be recording over music and that is very distracting and makes it worthless to me.

I was hoping maybe it wouldnt lag on XP but I cant even get it set up so I can hear myself in the headphones,

any help would be appreciated....

In audacity the option is software playthrough, and you have to select a different output device, since the input device is input only. There will be a latency, about all that you can do to counter that is get a really fast / optimized machine. It doesn't really solve the latency, but it'll make it better. That's the inherent problem with USB microphones. They are meant for podcasting, or audition tapes / solos, nothing more. Not that they can't be used in other ways, but it wont be easy as you're finding out.

Back