USB audio interfaces

Sangram

Hi,

A few questions about USB audio:

1. Is USB OK for 24/96 recording? Is it able to effectively stream audio of this bitrate into the computer (I'm not really sure this is a good question, why wouold anyone be hoping to make money from products that don't work?

2. There isn't that much of a difference in prices of decent USB and PCI interfaces, far as I can tell. I like theDelta 66/Omni bundle that was going for about $389 at 8th street, and some interfaces going for about $220, the Quattro being an example.

The question is: Is an entry-level USB (eg the Quattro, the Aardvark USB3 or this one: http://www.8thstreet.com/Product.asp?ProductCode=7926&Category=Audio_Interfaces ) significantly different (aka quality) from their PCI counterparts (the Echo Mia, M-Audio Audiophile, et al) Which would be recommended for a tightwad with very limited requirements?

The biggest advantage of USB, as I see it, is you don't have a risk of developing spondilytis everytime you want to change the inputs, and having to reach over to the back of the PC to do this. The Creative Audgy Platinum also has that lovely breakout box but I'm not so sure about its converters. It'll be launched in my country soon, hopefully, but I don't think I'll be going for it.

I'd love some opinions on this.

Sang

I primarily record acoustic guitar through a mic (don't ask!) and a DI mixed through a mixer (Don't ask) into what I believe is an Ensoniq audio PCI card. I don't need a gazillion inputs, two is just fine. Also I really don't carry my setup around, so portability is not an issue. For more info please let me know what you need to give your advice. Thankz.

I would only recommend USB recording if its your only option....PCI recording is more stable/proven.....

the Omni is a nice package if you can swing the $$$...with its breakout box, you wont have to reach behind the computer for changing inputs....

for the tightwad, id suggest recording with the Ensoniq (a pretty decent card for the money) until you can afford the Omni......

Sangram said:
I like theDelta 66/Omni bundle that was going for about $389 at 8th street, and some interfaces going for about $220, the Quattro being an example.

Grr.... I paid almost that amount in Pounds Sterling for my Omni Studio and that was a good deal. The typicla price here is aournd £400 sterling. U yanks get all the best deals.... talking of 8th street I kinda know a guy who works there. He has made his own stuff and it sounds amazing. For a good demo of what you can achive with home gear www.haloinreverse.net

Hey Alchemist

I'm not from the US. I just use 8th Street to benchmark prices. Remember me, I'm actually all the way across the globe.

Sang

Back