USB Audio Interface Advice

elsmandino

Hi there,

I have bought a copy of CUBASE and am now looking for an entry-level Audio Interface (I was given a Tascam US-428 but I cannot get it to work with Windows 10).

I only need two inputs but I do do also need midi in/output.

What do you guys reckon?

Should I get an interface with midi built in or should I get a separate USB midi interface?

I have done a bit of research and this seems to be getting the best reviews:

https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2, however it does not come with midi.

These two also have some great reviews and do come with midi

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur22mkii.html

and

https://www.roland.co.uk/products/duo-capture_ex/

They are broadly in the same bracket so which would you guys advise (or indeed is there something else I should consider)?

Thanks

the Scarlett is a good interface. The lack of MIDI might not be an issue because you can connect a controller via USB. I'm not sure exactly what you're planning to do, but I'm assuming that you have a computer with a keyboard controller and a pair of reference monitors. If that's the case, you may not need MIDI ports (unless your controller doesn't have a USB port.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that - the Presonus Audiobox looks like another great contender (just so many!). Are they largely the same in terms of what they can do? It is so difficult to choose between them.

I do indeed have a computer and reference monitors but my keboard is a bit old and does not have usb (midi only).

I keep on reading that the Scarlett interfaces are the ones to get at the moment - what makes them so good compared to the others?

I keep on reading that the Scarlett interfaces are the ones to get at the moment - what makes them so good compared to the others?

The colour.

Seriously, at that end of the spectrum, all the devices mentioned are solid. If your keyboard is a standard MIDI device then get one with MIDI, is my advice. A lot of these interfaces will give you a basic version of things like CUBASE for nix anyway, hope you didn't spend too much on that... :thumbs up:

If your keyboard is a standard MIDI device then get one with MIDI, is my advice.

What does this mean. When I use my keyboard for real-time MIDI synths, I only get like 10 keys that work toward it (Q-T or something like that). Does those two things relate?

sorry if i'm hijacking your thread

What does this mean. When I use my keyboard for real-time MIDI synths, I only get like 10 keys that work toward it (Q-T or something like that). Does those two things relate?

sorry if i'm hijacking your thread

I think he's referring to a MIDI controller keyboard with a standard MIDI out...not the typing keyboard, which can be used in a pinch!

I think he's referring to a MIDI controller keyboard with a standard MIDI out...not the typing keyboard, which can be used in a pinch!

Ah, yeah I don't know much about MIDI, obviously. So is there a way to increase my note options on a typing keyboard, by chance? Might as well try to learn something more here.

Of the AIs shown I would go for the Steinberg (yes, you will get another copy of "a" Cubase but no matter, it can go on a spare/mates machine?).

But them's hereabouts will know that I have a thing for the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Yes, a bit more money (and Cubase!) but MIDI and S/PDIF and two extra line inputs. The mic pres are VERY clean and of all the AIs around at this or substantially more money, the latency will be by far the lowest.

My other hobby horse is the provision and continued use of MIDI DINs on interfaces. You cannot do it ALL via USB (well, not easily).

Dave.

Ah, yeah I don't know much about MIDI, obviously. So is there a way to increase my note options on a typing keyboard, by chance? Might as well try to learn something more here.

I doubt it. An actual music MIDI keyboard will/should have velocity sensitive keys, so that note volume can be input as the same time as pitch.

Unless they make MIDI typing keyboards, the OP is referring to the noise making kind... :D

my keboard is a bit old and does not have usb (midi only)

Thus having MIDI jacks on an interface would be useful if he wants to record it... :thumbs up:

---------- Update ----------

Of the AIs shown I would go for the Steinberg (yes, you will get another copy of "a" Cubase but no matter, it can go on a spare/mates machine?).

But them's hereabouts will know that I have a thing for the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Yes, a bit more money (and Cubase!) but MIDI and S/PDIF and two extra line inputs. The mic pres are VERY clean and of all the AIs around at this or substantially more money, the latency will be by far the lowest.

My other hobby horse is the provision and continued use of MIDI DINs on interfaces. You cannot do it ALL via USB (well, not easily).

Dave.

But you always recommend the Steinberg, Dave... :D Totally with you on the MIDI DINs.. ;)

I ALMOST always recommend the UR22 in that price company Mark it is true.

I have had no personal experience of one (keep keeping an eye on Cash Gennies!) but the interface got a very good review in SoS when it came out and I have heard nothing bad about it since. Clean mic pres with adequate gain, decent instr input headroom, Cubase, MIDI and all for two nifties! What's not to like?

Go up another 40quid or so and the stand out AI for me is still the KA6. I COULD wish for 6dB more mic gain and a DC power input but that's being picky!

Dave

+1 for PreSonus Audiobox iTwo. Fine at my level (beginner) for the price and features, IMHO.

Two balanced inputs, with 48V phantom power if needed, switchable between line levels and guitar signals.
- Nice variable mix control between the playback of tracks previously recorded and the audio sound you're capturing right now.
- Has DIN MIDI in and out for use with devices that don't have a USB socket, such as an iPad/iPhone. (I agree with ECC83/Dave...)
- Has an elegant way of powering itself from your iPad power supply adaptor via USB whilst using the Lightning connector to connect to the iPad.
- Two balanced outputs to feed your powered monitors if/when you get any.
- Headphone socket at front with its own volume control.

Mine came with a Home Studio copy of Studio One. I'm actually using Logic and didn't bother to look too closely at it.

I was keen on the iPad/iPhone support, because , like me, you may not always want to schlep a laptop around for field recordings, band practice, etc. Sometimes I just record in mono/stereo using Multitrack DAW on my iPhone as a starting point for other things.

Good luck with your choice! Norman

Last edited:
Hello, I'm hoping this group can help me... I have a Miditech audiolink III interface and as great as it is, I need more xlr outputs for drum tracking.
I am looking into getting an external preamp with a further 8 xlr outs (likely the behringer ADA8200 or something similar) . what I would like to know is, can I connect the 2 units to simply add additional xlr's or is there a more complex process to setting this up, if possible at all... Thanks for all help in advance :)

Back