USB 3.0 vs USB 2.o vs Firewire

Farrestor

Ok I've been reading through all of the posts on this website. Some say USB 2.0 is no different than firewire and firewire is being left behind. Some say firewire lets you record more tracks at a time. So I really have two questions.

1. If I want to record 8 track at once for drums should I go with USB 2.0, firewire, or USB 3.0. I have an option for any of these.

2. If I go with a computer that has USB 3.0 does the interface also have to be compatible for USB 3.0 and if so which new interface runs 3.0.

Thanks for any help!

usb 2 and 3 and firewire will all be able to handle 8 channels with no problem what so ever.

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible. I.e. if you plug in a 2.0 plug to 3.0 socket, it will still work at 2.0 speed.

This might give you a few ideas regarding multitrack recording interfaces. Hope it helps.

Ok I've been reading through all of the posts on this website. Some say USB 2.0 is no different than firewire and firewire is being left behind. Some say firewire lets you record more tracks at a time. So I really have two questions.

1. If I want to record 8 track at once for drums should I go with USB 2.0, firewire, or USB 3.0. I have an option for any of these.

2. If I go with a computer that has USB 3.0 does the interface also have to be compatible for USB 3.0 and if so which new interface runs 3.0.

Thanks for any help!

Although there are comps available with usb 3.0, I don't believe there are any usb 3.0 audio interfaces yet. I could be wrong, but even if I am then they're probably just test models or basic first generations.

8 drum tracks is nothing for either either usb 2.0 or firewire. Each one will handle it nicely! I've got a Tascam 1641 (usb 2.0) and have done upwards of 12+ tracks at once with no problem. You just have to make sure you aren't running other usb devices (such as a usb mouse or whatever) when recording.

Thanks

Although there are comps available with usb 3.0, I don't believe there are any usb 3.0 audio interfaces yet. I could be wrong, but even if I am then they're probably just test models or basic first generations.

8 drum tracks is nothing for either either usb 2.0 or firewire. Each one will handle it nicely! I've got a Tascam 1641 (usb 2.0) and have done upwards of 12+ tracks at once with no problem. You just have to make sure you aren't running other usb devices (such as a usb mouse or whatever) when recording.

Thanks Guys This helps me with picking a new interface alot!! I appreciate the input.

Back