USB 2.0 or FireWire 400?

mapexvenus

I am considering a new audio interface that I can use both for recording and live performance. I am unsure about whether to buy an interface with USB 2.0 or FireWire 400.

As far as what should be on the device: I am looking for a device that has 4 - 6 inputs, MIDI, 2 main outs, and a headphones channel.

For recording I will be using Logic, and for live performance I will be using Mainstage. I will also be using my Roland SPD-S to trigger loops / samples from my Mac during live performance, which is why I need the MIDI capability.

Firewire is probably better in every single case. If you have the choice, go fw. USB uses a lot more CPU, which will be a bottleneck when you start getting a lot of tracks and plugins going at once.

Firewire is probably better in every single case. If you have the choice, go fw. USB uses a lot more CPU, which will be a bottleneck when you start getting a lot of tracks and plugins going at once.
not so in my situation. I have a Tascam M-164UF mixer / audio interface sending 16 channels of Audio to my laptop at 24/48 and Receiving 2 channels at 24/96 WITHOUT any issues over USB 2.0

I don't see any extra CPU load happening either

Computer is Sony Vaio laptop 1.5Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2.5G RAM using Vista Home Premium and REAPER.
My external HD is connected via FW. The only other USB device used is a mouse.

I also use a freeware program to free up RAM and resources called Game Booster http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

not so in my situation. I have a Tascam M-164UF mixer / audio interface sending 16 channels of Audio to my laptop at 24/48 and Receiving 2 channels at 24/96 WITHOUT any issues over USB 2.0

I don't see any extra CPU load happening either

Computer is Sony Vaio laptop 1.5Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2.5G RAM using Vista Home Premium and REAPER.
My external HD is connected via FW. The only other USB device used is a mouse.

I also use a freeware program to free up RAM and resources called Game Booster http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

lol...I use a crappy, cheapo Compaq with a friggin Celeron processor running Vista OS, 3 GB of ram and a 5400 rpm drive.:D I do have it optimized and running clean tho. I have 8 inputs, and I have never hit a wall tracking them all at once even with multiple plugs running. I'd say, USB 2.0 will, with ease, handle 4-6 channels...and they're generally cheaper than a comparable FW interface.

Peeps gotta get over this "USB sucks for more than 2 channels" mantra.:cool:

lol...I use a crappy, cheapo Compaq with a friggin Celeron processor running Vista OS, 3 GB of ram and a 5400 rpm drive.:D I do have it optimized and running clean tho. I have 8 inputs, and I have never hit a wall tracking them all at once even with multiple plugs running. I'd say, USB 2.0 will, with ease, handle 4-6 channels...and they're generally cheaper than a comparable FW interface.

Peeps gotta get over this "USB sucks for more than 2 channels" mantra.:cool:

How about latency during live performance? If I use the interface as mixer for live performance will USB 2.0 / FW make a difference?

How about latency during live performance? If I use the interface as mixer for live performance will USB 2.0 / FW make a difference?

Most interfaces have direct monitoring so latency shouldn't come into play at all for a live performance. Unless you need FX plugins, which if you ask me is a live disaster waiting to happen.

Back