us-428 question

Locomule

35 yrs as guitarist
Hope this isn't a stupid question, first time back in Homerec in forever =).
I am FINALLY building my DAW. I am now leaning towards a M-Audio soundcard/input system and plan to run Sonar. I want something with capabilities similar to the Tascam US-428 [midi control via faders, transport control, usb connectivity] to mixdown with.
The 428 Tascam page really emphasizes the compatibility of the unit with Cubase but doesn't SPECIFICALLY mention similar compatibility with Sonar. I know that Tascam acknowledges basic compatability with Win apps but I need to make sure this is all going to jive before I drop bucks if you know what I mean. Anyone know for sure if 428+Sonar= ok?
I am not married to any of my hardware decisions yet so if you know of another outboard mixer that would work for my situation please let me know. I am in the -$500 range (besides.. the m-audio stuff gives me the inputs so I don't even really need the tascams'... wasted money I suppose.
Thanks.

This is not a stupid question, BTW. I am a previous SONAR/US-428 owner, and eventually gave up and sold the US-428 on EBay.

First off, SONAR does NOT support the US-428, Tascam avoids responsibility. Doc Dale has done tremendous work with his Studioware for SONAR, but I could never get latency down to reasonable levels.

If you're using SNAR and have a PCI slot, (and don't need portability) I would stronly recommend the Roland Studiopak - so far mine has worked flawlessly with Sonar, and you can configure the faders on the mixer to sync with those on the computer.

I dunno, IMO USB 1.1 is not quite ready for prime time; I would wait fo Firwire or USB 2.0 in external computer digital solutions.

Also, the Zoom MRS-1044 is worth considering - 10 mix down tracks, the ability to get convert files back and forth to computer via the USB, a built in drum machine (that sound quite good), a 12 GB dedicated drive (more than my laptop anyway), and great effects (especially the chorus and reverb).

The 428 may work with Cubase, but again, it is NOT supported - repeat NOT supported by Cakewalk. Some people get it to work ok, but I couldn't get it to work properly in 24-bit, although it sort of worked in 16-bit.

Caveat emptor.

Best Regards,

Chuck

Locomule said:
Hope this isn't a stupid question, first time back in Homerec in forever =).
I am FINALLY building my DAW. I am now leaning towards a M-Audio soundcard/input system and plan to run Sonar. I want something with capabilities similar to the Tascam US-428 [midi control via faders, transport control, usb connectivity] to mixdown with.
The 428 Tascam page really emphasizes the compatibility of the unit with Cubase but doesn't SPECIFICALLY mention similar compatibility with Sonar. I know that Tascam acknowledges basic compatability with Win apps but I need to make sure this is all going to jive before I drop bucks if you know what I mean. Anyone know for sure if 428+Sonar= ok?
I am not married to any of my hardware decisions yet so if you know of another outboard mixer that would work for my situation please let me know. I am in the -$500 range (besides.. the m-audio stuff gives me the inputs so I don't even really need the tascams'... wasted money I suppose.
Thanks.

Many thanks Chuck

Thanks for the info on the tascam and the suggestion on the Roland. Shame about the Tascam, sounded like a good idea.
I'm gonna move this thread to the Roland forum now so please go check it out Chuck. I see one other mention of the studio pack there now but with no replies. eek. thanks again

Back