US-122 - Direct Monitoring - I Need Help!

KiFF BluEs

I just purchases the TASCAM US-122 interface. I plugged the line out on the back of the interface into my keyboard for direct monitoring through my keyboard's speakers. Then, I went into Cubase LE and set up a midi track, but the sound still was coming out of my computer speakers instead of through my keyboard (and of course there was latency). To fix this problem, in Cubase LE I went to "Devices > Device Setup > VST Multitrack" and changed the ASIO Driver to ASIO US-122 (16 Bit). After doing that, the sound came out of my Keyboards speaker with near zero latency. However, it does this even when Direct Monitoring is off. Isn't the sound only supposed to come out of the line out when the Direct Monitoring switch is turned on? Did I do something wrong?

Also, would there be less latency (even for direct monitoring) if I used USB 2.0??

One more thing. GigaStudio LE came with the interface. However, if I load Cubase LE, Gigastudio won't work. So, how can I use sounds from GigaStudio to record onto Cubase???

Last edited:
Hey mate,

when you have direct monitoring 'on' on the tascam, make sure that you are not monitoring the track in cubase (little speaker icon near the track name).

It's not :( lol.

It works great, there is no latency, but I would think there should only be no latency when the "Direct" switch is on. Otherwise, it should be monitoring through the computer.

Also, I figured out how to use GigaStudio's sounds with Cubase, however, when I record it freezes....I'm thinking because my computer might not be good enough to handle having Cubase and GigaStudio open and operating at the same time?? Or could it be something else??

Even more questions:

Whenever I play a song on itunes or something the vst instrument sounds gets all messed up and go out of tune...

The Direct Monitoring Switch applies to monitoring only while tracking, I believe -- meaning the audio coming into the unit, goes directly out to the headphones/line-out, without going through the computer first.

I mean sound coming in through the mic/line inputs (external) will not go through the computer prior to being monitored. If you're playing something already recorded on the computer, the direct monitoring switch is irrelevant.

KiFF BluEs said:
I'm just talking about when I'm playing my keyboard using a VST instrument

Direct Monitoring refers to audio, not midi. If you're using a VST instrument, it has to go into the computer to get processed by the VSTi.

If you are using a midi cable to attach the keyboard to the US-122 midi input you will hear latency through the software when its returned to the US-122 for audio output. If you are using line ins and line outs to connect the keyboard to the US-122 then you wont hear latency as it is an audio signal as scrubs has said. Latency is introduced into audio by virtue of processing midi through a softsynth or VSTI and/or VST effects that require CPU clock cycles to synthesize audio or audio effects from the original midi data (which is not audio until it gets routed to a softsynth), then that signal gets returned to the audio card slightly after the original midi data is read, hence latency on the audio outputted.

Ever since I changed the ASIO driver to ASIO US-122 in Cubase LE I didn't get any latency for midi when using VSTi's. But I guess that's not "Direct Monitoring" since that's only for Audio and not midi.

Can anyone help with the other issues I mentioned earlier?

Why don't you try posting at tascamforums.com in the US-122 section, but I think they might tell you to do a Google search for a Gigastudio/Cubase user forum.

Back