US-122...again...sorry

Link

Hey guys. I was going to venture out and buy a tascam US-122 this weekend...but am not entirely sure if it'll be compatible with my system.

I'm running a PC with Windows XP, a 1.2Ghz AMD Duron Processor, and am about to upgrade to 512 meg/ram. Will this be enough? I wouldn't need to upgrade anything like the motherboard or anything would I, and do I need a second hard-drive???

Sorry about the somewhat basic questions. I'm relatively new to the computer based recording system, but have had heaps of experience with standalone DAW's (like the Roland 1680 and the Yamaha AW4416) and in analogue studios. Its compatibility issues that are my main concern!

Basically all I want to do is lay a few guitar and bass tracks, while cubase is synched up to my drum machine, and I'll record to an external 2 track recorder. Can anyone see any probs?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Brad

in my opinion, unless you are going to record more than 16 mono tracks, you don't need a second hard drive.

what's the speed of the hard drive you have now? i had a 5200rpm hard drive in my 1.2ghz laptop and was able to get to 16-tracks with all the necessary dynamics processing and fx. thanks to my service agreement when my laptop stopped recognizing my hard drive and CD-RW, dell sent me a 2.4ghz to replace it.

BTW, always back your project up to CD-RW. when your hard drive crashes or it you ever get a virus, you'll be glad you did.

Cheers for that.
I've got a 5400 RPM hard-drive. Very unlikely that I'd ever be running any more than 8 tracks at once, so I'm pretty sure that this will work.

I know all about backing everything up. I've lost data on one occasion where I foolishly didn't save some audio and we had a power blackout...DOH

I'll let you know how it goes when I get the US-122. Thanks again

Brad

AAARGH...complete frustration

I got the US-122 after upgrading my computer to 512 meg/ram

After I started cubase I got this message

"After performing the complete range of tests, no settings produced a stable setup"

and the computer loses communication with the US-122.

I managed to record a few tracks to see if it worked...and it ended up crashing :/

Please help...Otherwise I having a feeling I'll be needing a new computer

naw, naw it isn't your laptop.

make sure you've got all the drivers for the us-122 properly installed.

make sure that you have winXP service pack 1. because there is a bug in the usb drivers for the original xp install.

i've got a 1.2ghz with 512mb and it works fine... i've got the us-428 not the us-122 but usb is usb.

if that doesn't work, try downloading a demo of sonar and see if that works... after you get the sp1.

Back