Uriah Heep Cover

7string

This is one of my favorite Uriah Heep songs and I've been wanting to cover it for a long time. Not one of their big hits but still a favorite of mine. I took some liberties because I wasn't real fond of the drums (no cymbals????) and the bass guitar in the original.

All comments welcome but please let me know if there are any problems with the mix. I'm sure I missed something so...

Things I'm concerned about:

1. Enough bass guitar?

2. Too much verb? (remember it's a 70's song...)

3. Acoustic guitars sound ok? Clear enough?

4. Twin guitars mixed ok?

5. Anything I missed?

Blind Eye

Last edited:
Congratulations! You've managed to strip every bit of energy and emotion from the song and turn it into elevator music. The drums are supposed to be driving the tune and you are using some weak sounding drum machine beat. The bass was also nonexistent. Yes everything has too much reverb.

Hmmm. I've listened to so much '70's music in my life but somehow never managed to sit down and listen to uriah heep. I used to see their records in the used record bins and was always curious but never pulled the trigger. They had hits? I'm guessing I know a few tunes but never knew it was them?

Anyway, not knowing the original or even the band's work, this comes across kinda like members of iron maiden and the doobies or America or something got together and jammed to a drum machine.

I thought the vocals were well done and the background vocals were really very smooth. Guitars were sounding pretty good and the bass was certainly prominent. If anything I'd say maybe a bit too loud, but certainly enough.

The drums really didn't work for me though. I just thought it sounded too much like a stock drum machine pattern/sound and didn't blend well with the other sounds.

Other than that, I thought you had a pretty decent '70's classic rock kind of sound going on.

I don't know Uriah Heap either...but that won't stop me from offering my .02

1. bass is plenty loud
2. no, not too much reverb
3. acoustic guitars...they aren't very prominent, that's for sure. Might be kinda weird to have more acoustic guitar though with all that drumming stuff, electric guitar, and bass the way you have it.
4. twin guitars...yes, they seem to mixed pretty well actually
5. drums might be a little automatic feeling??

I went and looked up the original on youtube...I actually prefer your rendition (especially prefer your vocal to the original which was too melodramatic for my tastes)

I agree, the drums are too sterile, and I also thought the toms are panned way too hard left/right- the tom run was distracting, rather than cool.

Overall, not a bad mix, otherwise.

Thanks, Guys (and Gal)! Appreciate the listen and the comments. Some of us don't have access to, or funds for a "real" drummer so we do what we can with what we have. I have no plans to release anything I record and I record for fun so it accomplishes what I want.

Thanks again!

Back