URGENT: Using five headphones?

PTravel

Senior Senior Member
When I normally record, I need only a single headphone for me and, at most, one for the performer. This Sunday, I'm recording (on location) a section of a project that involves four performers (I'll be using three microphones -- it's dialogue, and structured so that two of the performers can switch off). I need five heaphone outputs -- four for the performers and one for me to monitor the recording.

I have enough headphones to go around, but I can't figure out a cheap (must be cheap) way to connect them to Fast Track Ultra audio interface. The FTU has two headphone out jacks. Even if I use those cheap headphone splitters, I'm still short one headphone output. I suspect I'm already pushing it, power and impedance wise, by doubling up each output. Could one headphone jack drive three headphones without amplification?

I've got less than a week to solve this problem and very, very little money to solve it with. Any suggestions would be welcome.

If the performance is just dialogue do the performers really need headphones?

You could get a good level and then just monitor them yourself and let them get on with it. I don't actually understand where you say 'two of the performers can switch off'

Something like this? Behringer: MINIAMP AMP800

*EDIT* That Behringer AMP800 only has 4 headphone outs but you could double one of them up with a splitter

I got a little behringer ha400 4 channel for next to nothing. It would do the job.

Just be aware, it did die channel by channel until it did not work at all.
I think that process took about 6 months.

Then some douchebag stole it! I always take pleasure in that. :p

If the performance is just dialogue do the performers really need headphones?
It's dialogue set to music, i.e. they have to match beats and small parts of it are sung. They have to hear it and each other.

You could get a good level and then just monitor them yourself and let them get on with it. I don't actually understand where you say 'two of the performers can switch off'
The segment consists of little 2-4 line "scenes," and only 2 characters appear in all of them. The characters that don't can take turns at one microphone as they don't have lines with each other.

Something like this? Behringer: MINIAMP AMP800

*EDIT* That Behringer AMP800 only has 4 headphone outs but you could double one of them up with a splitter
[/quote]This looks nice, though it's a little pricier than I wanted. As I have two headphone outs on my Fast Track Ultra, that would be enough -- I'd use one on the FTU for my monitoring, the other can go to the AMP800 and drive the performers' headphones.

I got a little behringer ha400 4 channel for next to nothing. It would do the job.
This looks even better (because it's about $50 cheaper. :)).

Just be aware, it did die channel by channel until it did not work at all.
I think that process took about 6 months.
I just need to get through Sunday, though, down the road, I'll be doing more multi-performer recording. I'll just have to break open the piggybank and see how many pennies I have.

Then some douchebag stole it! I always take pleasure in that. :p
If only there was always douchebag karma. :)

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. These are what I need. Now I'll have to see if my local Guitar Center has them -- there's not enough time to get it delivered, and Guitar Center is the only decent music store that's local to me.

DAMN! Guitar Center doesn't have either one in stock in any of the stores in Southern California.

Edited to add:

Okay, I just ordered the Behringer AMP800 from Amazon with 2-day shipping -- should have it Thursday. It's more than I wanted to spend, but I really like the idea that it accepts balanced inputs, which I can get from my Fast Track Ultra. I'll have to pick up a couple of XLR-to-TRS cables, or maybe make them my self, but it will also cut down on the cable clutter -- I'll put the headphone amp in the middle of the room and run the balanced lines to where I'll have my laptop, FTU and KorgKontrol2 (I'll be using Audition 3.0 or CS6 for tracking -- haven't decided which one yet).

I swear, home recording is like having a hemorrhage -- the money just keeps pouring out. :)

Thanks again, guys! I didn't even know devices like this existed and it's just what I need.

Last edited:
DAMN! Guitar Center doesn't have either one in stock in any of the stores in Southern California.

I use the Presonus HP4, very please with it, it has 4, you have an extra, 129 at GC. You could 99 on Amazon and 2 day shipping. Something in that line.

I've been using a $130 Behringer HA4700 for years.

4 on the front plus 4 on the back. Good volume.

3 years for me, and I got it for $50 on Craigslist. Great volume, though quite noisy. Take that not as an insult to the gear. Worthy as hell for monitoring. Just notice the unit has quite an added noise floor when recording more intimate sessions. Not so directly from interface, but what would you expect?..

Plus 1 to the HA4700 for doing it's job.

The Behringer Miniamp AMP800 just arrived from Amazon. Not bad -- I paid for 2-day shipping and it came overnight. I'm at the office so I can't do anything more than plug it in and make sure it lights up (it does). The build quality is better than I expected. It looks like it will be a good addition to my portable recording kit. Now for a quick field trip to Guitar Center for a couple of TRS cables and an extra mike stand and boom.

Back