Urgent Speaker/Soundcard Help Needed

magic_joel

So i just bought a new PC (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-210-OK&groupid=43&catid=1445&subcat=) and set it up, putting a firewire pci card in one slot.

My MOTU 8pre is plugged into one of those firewire ports with Yamaha HS50M's going into the soundcard.

However when I turn my speakers on all i get is a -very- loud buzzing/crackling noise.

I rectified it last night after i'd installed the mobo's drivers and such, but now after turning off the computer and starting it again the problem is back.

I tried changing firewire ports to the one thats built into the krypt but the same thing occurs.

Any ideas?

Is it just ground loop?

(This did not happen with my old PC)

I'm assuming its a ground loop problem in the external soundcard because the speakers don't produce any noise when the sound card isnt selected as the default device, when it's selected as opposed to the on board one, thats when the buzzing starts.

ragh, looks like its not ground loop, worked for hours perfectly last night but when i shut down and turn it back on it buzzes again, any ideas?

I've had a similar problem in the past that turned out to be a software conflict from my network connection. It is slightly different as my sound is fine when I turn on the computer but begins to crack and such over time.

It might be worth a try to disable any devices/ drivers (network, on-board sound, on-board firewire, virus scanner, others?) to see if the problem goes away. If it does you can re-enable each device, one at a time, to see which is causing the problem

Does that PC have Texas Instruments firewire chips (look in the device manager)

Motu (and most other pro interface manufacturers) REQUIRES TI or Lucent chips for proper operation.

seems to be a driver problem of sorts, if the driver for the MOTU is turned on and off in device manager a few times, it suddenyl stops buzzing and works, so I assume its just a driver issue which can't be helped until new drivers are released?

Back