Urgent, someone please help..!!!!!

Capt. Snazzy

out of nowhere, when i record through any input into cakewalk pro 9.3, when i play back, the highs are fuzzy and say for any fast attack sound say a snare hit, there is a bit of digital distortion just audible in the high spectrum, i've tried all different settings and have read through every applicable manual and online help doc but can't figure it out. this just started happening, i was making fine recordings just 2 weeks ago then BAM, i haven't been able to record since. i can't stand it. i'm using the following:
p 3 600 on dfi board w/ 392 mb ram with win me lite install just for audio.
not that it matters but maybe....i'm using a fastrak 66 40 gb raid array for the actual recording of audio files.
sb live sound card and also the inputs on my tascam us-428(piece of crap, no one buy one, they are awful blue turds)
i use a fostex 812 to mix/pre amp the signal before it goes to the sound card(s), monitoring the recording from the headphone jack on the 428 it sounds fine, just like it does on the mixer, only on playback does the little bit of distortion appear. oh, and i've already tried all different input settings on the cards and all different output settings on the mixer. i think it's some setting that i've accidently changed but i don't know, obviously. PLEASE HELP1
thanks for any suggestions -frustrated Capt.

First of all i would try checkin the audio settings. Make sure you all of your audio settings are correct. Also make sure that when u are recording u keep the volume levels under 0Db. When you are recording, whatch in console view and watch the levels of the thing being recorded. Let me know if you need more help.

yeah, i've tried all that stuff, i always watch the levels closely, and i've even tried recording it really quietly. no matter what the volume of the track, and how hot it was recorded, upon playback, it always sounds crappy. there's a little high hiss crap then the hair of distortion on snare hits, i don't understand at all, i even thought maybe i had burnt the inputs or something, but then i realized that it sounded fine as i was monitoring it through the sound card output while i was recording. i'm going to work on it some more tonight, so maybe something good will happen. thanks for the reply, please send more.........-Capt.

Mornin Cap'n,
You got all this nice gear but it seems, you may have some weak links in the chain - the first place I'd go is the sblive. Decent card to have around, but it will give you these kinds of problems. I also don't understand why you haven't flushed the blue turds down the turlit.

yeah...

i know the sblive is just a consumer grade card, but i've become kind of attatched to it because of the quality it's given me in the past. i'm in the midst of aquiring an aardvark aark 24 setup, but i'm afraid that if i can't get this crap figured out it won't matter. thanks so far.
keep 'em coming.. oh yeah, the reason i still have the 428 is that i can't take it back, it took me so long to install it and get it to function halfway properly that by the time i did, my 30 days was up. and i'm not going to sell it to someone just to have it make them miserable, so i try to just use its 24 bit inputs, even then it doesn't want to work correctly. i don't think that is has to do with this particular problem, though. but still, a curse on tascam for this demon they've released. a curse.
-Capt.

I recommend going through everything and making sure everything works. I would definately check cable connections and anything on the mixer that could be cutting the signal. A note about the sblive. i have tried recording with the sblive before i got my midiman delta 44. infact, what i found out, is the sound blaster AWE64 actually had a better sound. the sound of the sblive is a bit murky sounding. since the awe64 playbacks at 8bit its good to keep both cards in the computer and play out of the sblive and record into the awe64. i dunno, but just from personal experience when i was in your shoes. also, i would check the gain levels, try and keep your gain down to about the middle and keep your sliders up instead. i dunno, im not a pro at this stuff but im tellin yah what i know from personal experience. hope i can help yah out.

Back