Urgent Problem

Mole

Hope you guys can help. Have a project that must be completed by tomorrow and am having problems with cubase graphics. I am running it on a pc with Windows 98, pentium 111 650mhz, 256mb ram. As you all know programs like cubase vst32 5.0 involve having a lot of open windowns. For some reason, it is currently taking ages for screens to redraw when I move them or close them to reveal screens underneath. I didn't have this problem before, so I don't know what's going on. I have just installed an extra 128mb of ram taking it up to 256, so things should be running better not worse. Any idea what might be going on? I've done a lot of installing and uninstalling recently and have also run a program that permanently erases deleted files and wipes slack space on hard disk. Have I, perhaps, accidentally deleted something important or unintentionally changed some setting somewhere that might be screwing things up? Grasping at straws here, obviously, but that's what you do when you're despearate and clueless. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Things are running so slowly at the moment I can't make any changes in real time while running audio - though, perhaps I should mention that I am not experiencing any dropouts or audio glitches. Thanking you in advance,
Alan.

Did the problem start after you installed the extra RAM?

If so it's probably a mixed Ram problem so you'll have to take it out unfortunately.

You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling Cubase.

If that doesn't work try just reinstalling windows. This will fix any deleted or corrupt system files you may have.

Hope that helps

CYA

Tukkis

Tukkis is right. If it started happening after the ram was installed then take the new stick out and take it back. Make sure you get the right kind of memory to match what you already have installed.

I am not sure this could help but before reinstalling any software, a simple task would be to try to get the latest driver for your video card and see what it does.

Thanks for your help. I'm a bit confused about when the problem started. I installed a firewall recently which seemed to slow things down online. I imagine that's normal. Then I fitted the ram and started using cubase, not having used it for a few days and noticed that this was running slower too. Uninstalled the firewall and this solved the internet problem, but not the cubase problem. It never occurred to me that I could have the 'wrong' ram. All my other non music applications work fine. Would that be consistent with your diagnosis? Some friends suggested that the problem lay with my graphics card. But this doesn't explain the seemingly sudden onset of the problem. So, I think you may be right. I have already re-installed windows and this didn't seem to help. I haven't tried re-installing Cubase, though. Might give that a go, just in case. Anyway, thanks again for your help. Now I have a couple of theories to work with.

Back