Urgent info needed on TEAC A-3300S Tape Recorder

krhall

Does anyone here havE A FULL SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM or SERVICE MANUAL for a TEAC A-3300S tape recorder.

I have found that the previous owner has bypassed what i assume to be the automatic stop sensor on the right trailer arm there are 6 wires that were joined together and one of these was causeing a 60 Volt shortout to the metal frame of the machine. I have now seperated these wires and that part is fixed. All i need to know now is what to do with these 6 wires or the part that should have been there but now isn't.

The only way i can identify what part or parts are missing to restore this machine.

Also where would i get hold of a new reel turntable and spindle assembly.

Keith

Teac A-3300S Reel To Reel Tape Recorder

Also if you want i can provide photographs of the part of the machine where i think the missing part was located.
I can see 2 empty screw holes next to the inside part of the trailer arm for the right hand reel.

I have seperated the 6 wires and now the AC input circuit is clean and direct without any shortouts. So electronicly it is now sound.
As for audio circuits, i have so far been unable to test them as i believe this amateur repair by the previous owner rendered playback inoperable (Playback didn't work - whenever i pressed the play button i could hear the relay "click" and that was it, no servo engageing and reel motors didn't spin up.)
Also the previous owner modified a computer 3 pin lead to fit into the TWO pin socket so i have dumped that cable because i dont trust it's safety.

So if anyone can help, here are the following parts i need

1. Replacement Reel turntable and locking spindle assembly
2. Possibly a replacement automatic stop sender unit.
3. Replacement Pinch roller
4. looking at the record and playback heads they do show signs of conciderable wear so may need replacing too.
5. 2 Pin power cord.

Keith

Last edited:
krhall said:
So if anyone can help, here are the following parts i need

1. Replacement Reel turntable and locking spindle assembly
2. Possibly a replacement automatic stop sender unit.
3. Replacement Pinch roller
4. looking at the record and playback heads they do show signs of conciderable wear so may need replacing too.
5. 2 Pin power cord.

Keith

Can you give a picture of the mains socket? If it's the same design as the weird 2-pin thing that Revox use, you can get one on ebay. Many people have retrofitted their Revoxes to IEC sockets. I've been considering it myself..

The pinch roller can be got from Charles Hyde - www.chsinteractive.co.uk
Assuming you have it and it's just gone soft, you can send it to www.terrysrubberrollers.com and he can rebuild it for you - you might be able to get a local roller firm (typewriters, printers, conveyor systems need these) to do the job for you. If it's missing completely, you'll have to buy one from CHS.

Heads - You can buy these from CHS too - look under 'Tascam 34B'. I think they'll fit - TEAC heads seem to be fairly universal amongst their models, which is good. They are around £80 each, though.
You could ask Phi Magnetronics if they have any compatible heads I suppose.. http://www.phi-magnetronics.co.uk - or see if you can get them relapped. There are a few firms in the UK which do this, but I can't remember any names right now. Phi might do it also.

The reel table is going to be tricky. Try asking CHS, or failing that try to get a 22-4 or 34B reel table and hope it fits. CHS might know if they're compatible. Otherwise you'll have to either get a parts machine, or sell yours for parts.

Hope that helps..

hi ok i am uploading the picture of the AC input socket with this post.

And thanks for the info

Other images are the damage parcel force did to the machine whenit was in transit to me (The damaged reel turntable)

The possible missing part next to the right reel trailer arm
and the 6 wires that were causing a 60 volt current to be passed through the metal frame of the machine which i seperated and put into a terminal block until i can find what they are meant for.

Keith

krhall said:
hi ok i am uploading the picture of the AC input socket with this post.

Keith

Okay. I can't offer more advice on the reel table other than trying to get a TASCAM 388 or 32 table and make it fit. Ultimately this is going to depend on the diameter and how it's attached to the reel motor.

The mains lead is the same type that Revox use - if you put 'Revox' into ebay you'll see one ending in about 8 days. £6.50 or slightly more for Buy-it-now.

CHS do claim to have heads for the A3300SX. IIRC the record head is used for both record and playback.

29039M HEAD RECORD £66.74 (£78.42 incl. VAT) 7 - 14 Days
29048S HEAD ERASE £28.56 (£33.56 incl. VAT) 7 - 14 Days

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/shop/SearchResults.php?model=A3300SX&manuf=TEAC&cat=INT

..I can't help with the other things, though.

ok no probs
but this machine has 3 heads 1 X erase 1 X record and 1 X playback

thanks for the info

Keith

krhall said:
ok no probs
but this machine has 3 heads 1 X erase 1 X record and 1 X playback
Keith
Yes, but I believe the R and P heads are the same type, i.e. you buy two record heads.

Ok i think i found a reel table that might fit, but the depth of the base itself looks too big.
Can someone take a look at this listing and see if this may fit my machine. (On my machine if i remove the 3 screws arrounf the center spindle the reel table seperates from the reel motor shaft making it easier to change it over.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....20014696995&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

^^^^ This is the link to the ebay listing

Also please look at my previous thread for the image of the reel table i uploaded.

And also i still need info on the missing automatic stop controller that is supposed to be attached on the inside of the right tension arm.

At the moment all that remains there are 6 blanked off wires, and i believe none of the transport functions will work correctly without it.

Keith

Back