Upward Expander - looking for best models

Industrial

I'm looking for an UPWARD expander... a product which is becoming harder to find, I think, nowadays... They used to be popular I guess in the early days of digital when people wanted to expand the dynamic range of analogue recorded mediums like tape or vinyl.... but with everything digital nowadays... I just don't see it as much...

I looked at the S.P.L. Dynamaxx Model 9735, which looks like a nice unit (although the algorithm for the time constants is automatic... still not sure if I like these "automatic" compressors like RANE has). SPL makes great mastering quality equipment.... but getting this unit looks kind of difficult in America... its a european company.. I dont see anyone who sells it.

Are there any other quality companies that make UPWARD expanders? Want to explore my options.

I think Weiss makes an expander which is included with their super-duper signal processor for mastering apps... but just from the looks of it... thats got to be out of my price range which is no more than 2 or 3 grand tops.

Gimme rough prices, if you know it offhand.

------------------------

My application is as follows:

(1) Expanding synthesizer patches and drum sounds which were overcompressed.... but would sound great if I could get the dynamic range back.

(2) Uncompressing severly overcompressed signals which I get from dumb people who send me hypercompressed stuff to mix in my studio.

I've been trying to reverse engineer these problems using downward expansion.... but ya know, its just not the same thing... and I cant get it to work right... upward expansion would be so much easier.

You can get an old dbx model 117 - 119 on Fleabay for $100. These were designed to expand the dynamic range of LPs for dubbing onto cassette. I got one to expand the output of some old Casio keyboards for sampling or analysis/resynthesis on the FZ-1.

Back