Upshur Park - new song/mix

jm67

Hi there...

Now that the snow has finally gone, I felt like writing an upbeat, retro Summer song about girls and swimming pools. My friend Tom contributed the piano (which exceeds my minimal capabilities). I'm still thinking of tweaking the vocals but I like how the groove came out, and some of the chord voicings are interesting.

This mix is intentionally fairly wet - I've been listening to mid-60s Beach Boys, and new artists like Tame Impala who manage to use echo & verb in very creative ways. I wanted sort of a hazy wash of echo. I'm sure you'll let me know if that was a bad decision :o

Any advice for improving the mix is appreciated.

Upshur Park

Tears for Fear sound. I think the vocals have a few pitch issues and the vocals are buried. But re-track the vocals and bring them up. Pretty good tune.

Thanks for the feedback David. Yes, I'm planning to retrack at least some of the vocals (mainly in the verses).

I find the piano part dominating the mix. I suggest bringing it down and letting the other parts come through, like drums and vox. They need to be more up front.

Nice song. I get the vibe you were going for. Ooops, ending got cut off.

Thanks Chili. That's two votes for boosting (& fixing) the vocals. I sidechained the piano so that it would duck the vocals, but I can also lower the overall level.

Thanks Chili. That's two votes for boosting (& fixing) the vocals. I sidechained the piano so that it would duck the vocals, but I can also lower the overall level.

I am a big fan of side chaining, for certain music. I think side chaining in this case is probably not a good idea. I would suggest using volume automation. Try it with side chaining, but I don't think it will sound as good as old fashioned fader riding (in this case, automation).

Just a suggestion.

Back