Upgrading to XLR from USB cheapest options?

exomonkeyman

Hello There.

So iv'e had my USB audio technica AT2020 for a while now i got a tascam DR-60D which uses XLR + phantom power and than pretty much has a better low noise level with the 3.5mm jack and XLR inputs than anything i own.

So my USB mic feels a little old and in need of an upgrade.

So what's a good XLR mic to go for with low noise floor?
And what's a good performing but cheapest option for a control panel?

TLDR - To long didn't read. (Short version)
OP - wants XLR instead of USB
OP - wants to know what's a good XLR mic "rode, audio technica, senhizer"
OP - wants to know what would be a good but cheap control panel to plug the XLR mic into.
OP - Overall wants to spend £100-200 "If possible" on a mic + control panel and get cleaner less noisy audio.
EDIT - "What's the big advantages of getting an XLR mic"

Any help would be awesome!
Cheers :-)

Last edited:
if you want less noise, get a microphone with very low self noise like a rode NT1, the new NT1 is even lower self noise than the old NT1-A coming in a 4dB! Personally I prefer the sound of The AT2020 xlr version to the Rode NT1-A but it's just a taste thing, a bit like food some people like more salt than others

if you want less noise, get a microphone with very low self noise like a rode NT1, the new NT1 is even lower self noise than the old NT1-A coming in a 4dB! Personally I prefer the sound of The AT2020 xlr version to the Rode NT1-A but it's just a taste thing, a bit like food some people like more salt than others

Thanks for a response. the Audio Technica AT4050SM looks really really good but way out of my price range. Dose the AT2020 XLR mic have a lower noise level? What's the big advantages of getting an XLR mic?

Thanks for a response. the Audio Technica AT4050SM looks really really good but way out of my price range. Dose the AT2020 XLR mic have a lower noise level? What's the big advantages of getting an XLR mic?

XLR will have lower noise floor than USB, because the Analog to Digital conversion on a USB mic is internal and therefore compromised, you'll need an audio interface or PCI card and mixer. Then you can have an analog mic like the rode or AT2020 and plug it in and off you go, the mixer or interface will convert the sound into digital audio. XLR is the professional standard for good reason!

XLR will have lower noise floor than USB, because the Analog to Digital conversion on a USB mic is internal and therefore compromised, you'll need an audio interface or PCI card and mixer. Then you can have an analog mic like the rode or AT2020 and plug it in and off you go, the mixer or interface will convert the sound into digital audio. XLR is the professional standard for good reason!

So i was looking at 3 different interfaces

Lexicon Alpha £48
2 inputs 48kHz/24 bit (NO phantom power)

Alesis iO2 Express £79
2 inputs 48kHz/24 bit

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 £119
2 inputs 96kHz/24 bit

What's the real difference apart from construction. Why go for a £119 instead of a £79 dose the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 sound better or just built better?
Cheers

EDIT- Also some have MIDI I/O what dose that do? I use small USB MIDI keyboards. What dose that do for a interface.
I found out. It's like an XLR input but only for amps keyboards ect ect.

I personally rate focusrite pre-amps highly, they are probably the best in that price range, personally I think it's worth having the ability to work at 2496 and get true HD quality audio, what's the point in limiting yourself to 48k? it really depends on how much you care about high sample rates, for me having them is a MUST but that's because I record classical music and also sample things and slow them down using re-sampling with sound effects. These are only my opinions so aren't to be taken as fact, the scarlett has a good reputation

So i was looking at 3 different interfaces

Lexicon Alpha £48
2 inputs 48kHz/24 bit (NO phantom power)

Alesis iO2 Express £79
2 inputs 48kHz/24 bit

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 £119
2 inputs 96kHz/24 bit

What's the real difference apart from construction. Why go for a £119 instead of a £79 dose the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 sound better or just built better?
Cheers

I found out. It's like an XLR input but only for amps keyboards ect ect.

Certainly I would put the 2i2 as the best of that bunch but IMHO the Steinberg UR22 tops it in certain performance areas, gives you MIDI and Cubase Light.

Record 24 bits and 44.1kHz (48kHz for video) Everybody in the world LISTENS to 44.1kHz or a damn sight worse and VERY few people have an audio system powerful enough or room quiet enough to take full advantage of CD's dynamic range. NOT that anyone in the "rock" arena ever used more than 1/3rd of it and most crammed everything at -0.1dBFS!
Higher sampling rates just give your CPU a harder time and stuff your hard drives faster!

Dave.

Stick with Audio Technica. Their entry level mics are a lot better than others in the same price range. Maybe consider getting an AT2050. Good mic, good price.

Cheers :)

Back