Upgrading to Sonar 6

thundercage

I just purchased the upgrade to Sonar 6. I'm currently using Sonar 2.2. Before I install the upgrade, is there anything I will need to know about my existing 2.2 projects? Are there any horror stories doing an upgrade this drastic, or will it be smooth?

I'm thinking of getting Sonar later in the year...my guess would be that S6 would have documentation within regarding transfer of projects and what not from one version to another.

One would think. However, skimming the manual did not even touch on the subject. Not in the contents or index. Not even mentioned opening a file. Amazingly enough they refer to the online help. Unfortunately, by that time it could be too late. It does mention a little in the setup section and says it will detect a previous version and migrate the settings. I was mainly interested to find out if anyone ran into problems with their old projects.

Just installed 6PE on one of my machines and have 5PE on my laptop - only comments I've received is if I try to SAVE an older project on newer versions - it warns you that if you save in newer format it won't be compatible with older versions.

However, I've had no probs opening older stuff in the newer versions... Steve

Ok, I'm gonna install today. Just watched the audiosnap movie on the install DVD. That looks like a cool feature.

Your Sonar 2.2 Projects should be fine. When you load up Sonar 6 one of the options is to select pre-Sonar 1.3 projects so anything more recent than 1.3 should be fine. If you have Windows Vista you'll need to first load the Sonar 6 CD, then patches 6.2 & 6.2.1 from the Cakewalk website before you launch the program.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the secret to getting the 6.2 patches? Been trying for a couple days and no good - keep getting the msgs "connection reset" or others. Can't even dnl the PDF in the 6.2 page - but other pages seem to work fine... Steve

Speaking of which, does anyone know the secret to getting the 6.2 patches? Been trying for a couple days and no good - keep getting the msgs "connection reset" or others. Can't even dnl the PDF in the 6.2 page - but other pages seem to work fine... Steve

In that case go ahead and load 6.2.1 and then launch it after which Sonar 6 will be up to date.

Not according to the 6.2.1 page, which states, "Download Requirements:

You must have SONAR 6.2 installed in order to run this update."

No biggie; I can wait til their webmaster gets back from his weekend and eventually sees my SOS... Steve

Upgrading

I have done upgrades on "Cakewalk/Sonar" since ver 3 of Cakewalk, and I never experienced any negative effects from the processes. I have even skiped versions and had no issues. I just recently upgradded to Sonar 6.2PE from Sonar 4, and I love the new changes in the program.

All is ok. I installed and have had no problems to speak of. Now it's off to figure out all the new features.
Thanks.

Back