Upgrading my PC.

Roel

That SMART guy.
I want to upgrade my pc. I'm currently running an intel celeron 300 or something, 32 Mb, and a 6 gig HD.

I'm planning on using it for euhm... what do I know. Anything, really. I don't have a big budget, say about 300Euros. Here's an online shop, right next to my place, and pretty cheap. That's probably where I'll get what I want.

So, what do I get? I'm planning on using it to record some, lateron when I buy a decent audiocard. (Probably the audiophile or something in that vain...) But mainly, I'll use it to play around with fruity loops, some kindof notation software (which is probably pretty usefull when studying music theory), just internet, games,... Nothing too fancy I guess. Hell, do I really need this. Hmmm.
:confused:

Anyway, what do I look for? AMD or Pentium? What mainboard, brand, functionalities? What kindof memory? Do I need usb2 or firewall stuff?
Or do I just get more memory? That would be a cheap upgrade, right? And, is that newer SDRAM compatible with the old? I mean, my pc is about 4 years old, I haven't got a clue what's in there... Could it be?

...damn. Wish I could speak German :) - hey, I though you were pretending to be in France? :)

It's really tough to recommend something without knowing what you're planning on doing with it. If you're going to use it as your studio backbone, you'll need lots and lotsa beef. If say, just some mastering and burning (and/or looping), you can get by with a lesser box.

You're an analog guy right now, right? That being the case you might want to try out some software on your current box and see what more you'll need.

Rule of thumb (IMO) is to get the most you can afford, just short of the "Brand-Spankin'-New-Just-Released" stuff. PC's depriciate so fast, you might want to wait until you know exactly what you're looking to do with it before you drop the cash.

Nope... Not analog. I got a VS1880 at home. Which I was planning to keep for my multitracking, since I live in 2 locations... (Piano and studio at my parents place, alot of space, suburbian area... Very nice place, but too far from school so mainly in the weekends. And the PC is at my weekly residence, very small 3x4m room with bathroom.)

So I guess I'll mostly use it for looping tracking, sequencing, occasionally mastering (got no monitors there, silly hifi-thingy).

I'm still pretending to be in france btw. Just a little. Who cares. But it's not German. We Frenchies talk Dutch mostly. :eek:

I guess I'm just tired of that old pc. You gotta go with the time man... I feel old with a 300Mhz. :( But I will wait untill I played around with the software more. That's a good idea.

...I'm a mono-lingual moron :D

...is there any way you can get a hookup deal through school? You need one for ....ummm.... research. Yeah, and homework, and and email to teachers and stuff :) You can always get a better sound card down the road, but it might be worth a shot.

Don't think that's gonna work. I wonder if they even use computers there. :D

That school looks as old as just about anything else in brussels. But I'll find out. They gotta have some stuff... I'm really curious. They have a productionclass. That I'm gonna take ofcourse. They gotta have something. Although it would be kinda cool to be working on a 2". :D

But it's another good idea. Ah, another thing, if they have deals going, it'll probably be on entire pc's, so an upgrade would still be cheaper. (I have everything, only mainboard, cpu and memory needs an upgrade. Maybe the case if the mb doesn't fit...)

Back