upgrading my kit

hardcore guy

Right now I have a Sonor Force 2001 kit. It's done me well through the years with plenty of gigs, bumps, scratches and head stands. I think it's time to upgrade though. This kit has always sounded good to me in our studio practice space but I don't have that now and I was suprised by how bad it sounded once I took it home.
Anyhow, these are the options I'm looking at, it would be great to hear from some people who own or have used these sets.

-Mapex M Pro maple
-Sonor S-class maple
-Pieced together Sonor Delite drums bought separately on ebay

If anyone could give me some suggestions regarding sound, quality and price, that would be great. It seems like the mapex m pros are a great quality, for about $950, I can get a 5 piece with a snare and lots of hardware. Although, all I really need is a bass, floor tom and hanging tom. I'm looking for a 22x18 bass, 16" floor tom and 13" or 14" hanging tom (I like em big). And I play experimental punk/indie/hardcore ( I guess) if that helps at all. Let's hear what you have to say.

I'll just say... drum kits are very particular to the rooms your in and maybe it just sounds bad at your house, my kit sounds amazing some places and horrible others, and the places I play that it sounds horrible, I've seen guys with amazing kits that also sound horrible there.

It's weird one place my snare sounds awesome and my toms like crap, and the next my toms sound awesome and my snare like crap.

As far as an upgrade, drums are generally a get what you pay for type deal and I doubt any one here has done a whole lot of comparing different kits you mention, I would say go with whatever company you like best as I'm sure those are all good kits. Actually i would probably go with whoever has the best hardware.

YMMV

I totally get what you're saying about bad sounding rooms. I've totally loved my current set in some rooms and was completely horrified by others. However, I want to upgrade my set either way. I think I would like to stick with sonor just because I know and trust the brand and I like their hardware. I'm still fishing around for some good opinions though.

this is pretty common. before you buy a new kit try tuning your drums a little differently or setting up your drums in a different part of the room. there's no guarantee a new kit is going to sound good if you set them up in the same spot you've got your current kit.

you seem set on getting a new kit. that's cool, who doesn't want new drums? but i still think you should experiment a bit with the tuning and placement of your current kit. when you get your new drums you're probably going to want to set them up and play ASAP and not waste time dealing with other issues.

I've already spent a long time trying different heads, playing with the tuning and moving them around. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while and the straw on the camels back just recently broke.

well, in that case it looks like mapex are less expensive than sonors (at musician's friend). both got rave reviews. i don't like my sonor snare stand at all, so i'd be inclined to get the mapex kit.

whatever you get, i hope it serves you well.

I really like Sonor, thats why I suggested the S Class Pro. Plus, Its always best to get new drums, not use dpieces of delites on ebay.

I'd suggest going in the high-end Yamaha route. That's my personal opinion though. The oak and maple customs are AWESOME.

I second the Yami's. I have an absolute maple kit (i have a couple kits ;) ) and its just a beauty! Yamaha have like incredible stuff for adjustments and other stuff... If you have the chance get a gas lift throne lmao...they are so fun... :D

Back