Upgrading my (formerly) Giggastudio Studio

4greatKeyboards

About a year and a half ago I bought Gigastudio 3 and a Fatar Vmk-188 and loved them. A week ago system crashed. Found that my dedicated Sample Drive was erring all over the place. This on a 16 month old Sager (Clevo) NP9262 laptop ( Core 2 Intel Quad 2.8 GHZ ). I conclude that Sample Drive ( a 200 GB 7200 rpm mfr unknown, so far ) was worked to death by Gigastudio.

So I fell back to my Yamaha S-80 Synth. for daily practice, although driving it with my Vmk-188. And Lo! Found out I actually play better than I thought! Found that passages I have slaved over as sounding muddled actually are crystal clear. My technique was not the problem. The problem was Gigastudio's engine couldn't keep up! ( In Chopin Etude Opus 10 No 4, for instance, played at 128 BPM.)

So. I am upgrading in the following way. Replacing both the System and the Sample drives with Solid State Drives (Kingston 325 128 GB each), going from 4GB ram to 8GB, and going from XP 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit. For virtual instrument, Quantum Leap pianos sound best to me, after reading this article and hearing the comparative demo:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/ultimate-software-pianos/oct-08/87255

Any have similar experience? Wish I could try-before-buy on the Quantum Leap system.

Thanks!

PS: You may be better than you think.

Back