upgrading my equipment/sound.

dekodesigner

Hi there, must say I absoloutely love the values that this forum brings to novice and obviously advanced music users.

I’m about to upgrade to a more advanced setup as I have just kitted out a room with acoustic underlay ready for my studio (it is simply to start recording at a semi-decent level, full sound proofing is not being used due to it being a familly house that i may sell in a year or so.

My equipment is as follows:

TASCAM US-122 USB 1.0 but runs as USB 2.0
• Spec: USB audio/MIDI computer interfacing
• Mac and Windows compatible
• Two XLR-fed phantom-powered mic inputs with inserts
• Two line level inputs (switchable to guitar level)
• Records at up to 48kHz, 24-bit resolution
• 16 channels of MIDI I/O
• Adjustable zero-latency direct monitoring
• Two line outputs with level control
• Headphone output with level control
• Self-powered via USB: perfect for both studio and location recording
• Includes ASIO, WDM, GSIF and Apple Core Audio (OS X) drivers
• Includes Cubase LE 48-track / 96kHz audio recording/MIDI sequencing software
• Includes GigaStudio 3 LE 64-voice sampling workstation software
• Compact and rugged steel construction
• Dimensions: 5.9"W x 2.4"H x 7.7"D
• Weight: 2lb

2 x RODE NT1 Mics
Focusrite voicemasterpro pre-amp/compressor
PC – dual core packard bell, 300gb sata, 2GB ddr ram pentium 4 3.6ghz.
Monitor – 26 inch Samsung hd ready
KRK RP6 monitors.

all I have now are a few questions which are probably assisted by the most simplest of answers.

1. Am i better off sticking to this tascam, rather than a soundcard such as the m-audio audiophile 2496?
2. Where on the tascam would i connect my KRK’s? The line output left and right I assume?
3. Would i connect the tascam to the voicemaster pro, or would the voicemaster replace my tascam audio/midi interface as the mic’s would run through it? Or, would I run the KRK’s through the tascam, and the mic’s through the US-122?

As you can see, i m quite new to music and until recently i have just been using an amp, 2 speakers, the tascam and the mic, but I now want to take it a step further and improve the sound of my recordings. (I am a vocalist, so I don’t need to use any instruments in this set up).

Please note that I wish to run 2 Rode Nt1’s using the focusrite voicemaster pro, hence getting the same sound from 2 emcees recording at one time.
I’m assuming i will use both mic inputs that are phantom powered on the tascam and both inputs will play out of both headphone jacks to my 2 pairs of behringer headphones (i’m using a splitter as the tascam only has 1 headphone output).

http://www.focusrite.com/index.php?...ge&productName=voicemaster_pro&imageName=rear

here is the spec of the focusrite voicemaster pro.

I would really like to conclude this issue, so any input will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, James. (UK).

PS: a breakdown of the connections needed from equipment to equipment would also be greatfull

So far I haven't commented on many threads as I am learning quite a lot from them rather than adding my useless oppinion, I'm sure i'll start posting soon enough.

1. do you have the usb1 or usb 2.0 version of the tascam (they originally made a usb 1 only version then more recently have a usb 2.0 version). the older version will run on a usb 2.0 connection, but with only usb 1 speed. the fact that it's limited to 24 bit 48 khz suggests that it's the older version. in that case the advantages of a pci based system would be the ability to record at higher sample rates (doesn't really seem that important for what you're doing), potentially (but not necessarily) lower latency, and potentially (but not necessarily) greater stability. you can probably stick to the tascam for now unless you have problems that warrant changing.
2. line outs should be fine
3. is the focusrite a dual channel pre/strip? if not you could only use it on one vocalist at a time. if it is, it would probably make sense to run the mics into the focusrite first and then run the line outs from the focusrite into the tascam. if you have the a/d option for the focusrite, you can run a digital connection from the focusrite to the tascam via the s/pdif connector. that option may result in better sound quality, but may require some additional adjustments (setting the control settings of the tascam to slave the digital clock of the tascam to the focusrite or vice versa (see which sounds better).

response

yes, i have the us-122 usb 1.0 that runs through 2.0's connection.

the us-122L is the usb 2.0 that I mayb upgrade to depending on the sound i get with this initially.

when you say the line outputs will be fine, that is regarding the KRK's i assume?

also, I have the ad card for the focusrite, i take it the ad card has the spdif as on the basic unit, this connection is not mentioned.

From right to left; mic input XLR, line input jack, insert send/ return jacks, XLR balanced main- and pre-de-ess- outputs, jack unbalanced main output, FX send and stereo return (to allow a feed of e.g. a reverb unit to the monitor circuit,) L+R monitor input jacks, L+R monitor output jacks, and ADC input jack (allowing connection of 2 x VoiceMaster Pro to 1 x A/D option.)

with the card, i take it that the unit is not dual channel, and I would have to connect another voicemaster pro to the unit to have this ability.

i dont see the benefit of this, wouldn't it be an idea to buy a dual channel unit that is dual channel and the same spec as the voicemaster pro?

thanks, James.

yeah the mention of line outputs was in answer to your monitor question (as per your original numbering). make sure the cabling is consistent from one end to the other (i.e. trs 1/4" from tascam to trs 1/4" or xlr at the monitors; or 1/4" ts to 1/4" ts; rca to rca, etc.)
the s/pdif will be on the a/d card. s/pdif is a digital connection format. s/pdif should allow for stereo/dual mono connections (r/l) on one cable.
for simplicity, you might want to just start with running the line outs of the focusrite into the line ins of the tascam.

Back