Upgrading Front End...

jhag

I am getting ready upgrade my front end (or maybe just add to it). I'm looking to get the best possible vocal chain as funds allow. Here's the scoop:

Currently have:

TLM-103 (also have an at4033) into A-Designs mp-2 into Lucid ad9624 into RME soundcard.

Looking to either add a new mic: at4050, 4060, u195, or CharterOak SA538 (the laters requiring more saving)

Or...

Add another channel of preamplification in the form of Hardy m-1 or me-1nv.

What do you think? Am I way off basis here? Should conversion be upgraded before any of the others?

It seems like maybe add to your mic collection. Your front end is already pretty decent, really. An additional high quality preamp would give you another flavor, which could be helpful.

Also, you would eventually want to upgrade your conversion. I use a Universal Audio 2192, which I am very happy with.

But for right now, getting a higher end mic might give you the most bang for your buck.

Well, considering how thoroughly and exhaustively detailed your request was ... I'd just say flip a coin and assign mics to one side and pres to the other, and see what you come up with.

Yeah i didnt get that,why use RME if you have LUCID?

oh i get it,its digital from LUCID to RME?

The Lucid converters are excellent converters for what they cost. Eventually you may want to upgrade them like mentioned above, but that would be pretty low on my priority list. Since you already have at least one good channel of preamp, I ouwld look into the mic situation first. The U195 is an excellent low to mid priced mic that offers a lot of versatility. Of the other choices, the 4060 is actually a nice solid mic.

When you throw out all that crap you have now, let me know. I think I might be able to use it, I'll pay shipping.

:D

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying its crap. The A-designs sounds great. My only beef is, to me, its sounds great on backing vocals. I'm wanting one channel for a lead vocal that has a very fat, upfront, in your face sound. It doesn't seem like I'm getting it right now. Didn't know if the mic choice would help the situation or a different color pre.

Back