Upgrading from Pro Tools TDM 7.4 to 8,9 10, or 11?

glenn taylor

Hi guys, I have used pro tools 7.4 tdm on my G5 for years. I take on a few projects a year. I use Autotune,focusrite comps,eq, eventide anthology,drumagog,Steven Slate and a few other plug ins.Pretty happy with PT 7.4. I wouldn,t mind upgrading to 8,9 or 10 to use for the next 5 years. Any sugestions which is a good version and I can go to it from 7.4 to? :confused: GT

Hi,
You're traversing a few major changes there.
I can't advise about Avid's cross/upgrade deals etc, but I can tell you that the version you upgrade to is likely to be dictated by the system you're on.
Are you sticking with the G5? What operating system can that take you to? 10.5...possibly 10.6?

Check out avid.com for their compatibility tables. That should set you on the right path.

There are other things to take into account too. There are usually amnesty options...for example, if you buy PT10 retail today avid will send you an 11 license.
That may not be true right now; I don't know the details, but it'd be worth finding out, huh?
Also, have a look at the release notes for each major version.

PT 8 brought in elastic pitch, air plugins, track comping, automation lanes and some good V.Instruments.
Pt 9 dropped the hardware tie so you can use whatever interface you want. It also brought in ADC!!<whoop>
PT10 brought in clip gain and, I think, AAX support.
PT11 is 64 bit AAX only...No RTAS, but you get offline bounce!

Because of the dropped hardware tie, 9 and 10 require and ilok1+license. 11 requires an ilok 2+license.

Hi, I have a similar question. I used to run Protools 7.4 LE on a MacBook Pro with OS 10.5 (2007). My macbook recently crashed so I bought a new one: Mac Book Pro with OSX 10.8.4 Snow Leopard. I cannot install Protools 7.4 on my new macbook bcs its not compatible with OSX 10.8.4. Is there any tip on how I can get my 7.4 to run on my new Mac and then upgrade it to PT 8 or higher? Otherwise, I think my only option is to buy new protools software (11) at top price.....? All tips are most welcome....

Thanx Cat

Hi there,
I think your best bet is to pick up a second hand mbox with PT8 license.
I know you don't necessarily need the hardware, but as far as I know PT8 can't be sold second hand on its own.
The software license is tied to the hardware (8 and earlier), and their transfer of ownership for hardware includes that license.

It's not the proper way to do it, but if you know anyone who upgraded from PT8, they'll still have their code…..
Something to think about.

The newest PT 11 is supposed to save memory resources. I have not used it. I'm still on PT 9 and like it.

Hiya, just wanted to add, that I've just been through a similar process and ended up having to replace pretty much everything! I was using PT 7 HD on a G5 and wanted to upgrade to 8. I had to upgrade the OS to Leopard - no longer sold by Apple so had to buy second hand. Managed to by a PT8 HD licence from authorised seller on Ebay for £150. All installed OK but then found my plugins didn't want to work in 8 So upgraded to a Power Mac - installed everything again running Snow Leopard OS and it's great now but has cost me a few hundred pounds to do and now most of my plugins don't work and I can't find the drivers to download. My drive crashed in the middle of all this and I lost everything! I will be putting up a post asking for help with the plugin drivers for PT8 when I've put the list together. I think the jump to 8 is worth it - it looks much nicer as well as loads of new features, especially the elastic audio. Hope that's helpful.

Hi Steenamaroo. That's correct and it has been literally a 'jump' for me. I've never used a DAW before 2013 so it's all been a very steep learning curve. The thing I'm stuggling with at present is finding the installers for a number of plugins I have on my iLok - namely: Bomb Factory BF3A, Cosmonaut Voice, Focusrite D2/D3, Joemeek SC2 Comp, Joemeek VC5 Meequiliser, Sansamp PSA1 and Pultec EQH2. The downloads aren't available on the Avid site for HD8 and I can't find them anywhere else on the net. It's really annoying as I have the licences on my iLok but can use them. If you know anyway to get around this, I'd be very grateful. Thanks DD.

Hmm. I don't think I've ever had to go looking for the free bundled plugs.
As far as I know they should be installed as standard with protools.

What's in your plugins folder?

I know from memory I definitely have BF3A and Sansamp.

Hi there, thanks for the reply. The licence was bought legitimately and OK'd with Avid etc. I didn't need the hardware as I already had the HD card. I probably would have been OK if my hard drive hadn't crashed and I had to reinstall everything. PT 8HD was not a problem to reinstall but none of the plugins are available for PT8 HD from the Avid site as it's no longer supported. I've tried the drivers for 9 or 10 which are available, but they don't work. I think I'll put a post out to see if anyone still has the drivers and can share them with me.

Back