Upgrade studio

howlin'dog

Ok. guys and gals...

I am ready to upgrade my studio and want some help with some final thoughts.

i am presently using a samick 8 channel board(must go), rack mounted with a yamaha 3200 amp(brand new), ibanez 31 band mono eq ( i hardly use it), and digitech s100 (used strictly for my vocals).

All peices i have gathered over time as a DJ / sound guy.

I run this into my computer through my Turtal Beach sound card which is only two channels at one time (left and right). I use Cubase VST 32. I would like 8 channel simitanious record

OKAY.... so i was thinking of getting a nice 12 channel digital board and a dedicated computer tower to run into for hard disc recording (SCSI) and mixing with cubase. also i want new monitors and am looking at the new unpowered ons from yorkville sound. (i use yorkville elites for dj work and am really impressed with there stuff.)

Any thought or suggestions on this long winded request?
My Budget is Max $5000 canadian but my middle name is "BANG FOR THE BUCK"

Howlin' Dog

If you wanna BANG for yer bucks, you should get a ho... :D

You don't need a digital board. You need some multichannel audio card. I don't know shnitzels about that. Look in the computer-recording thread for more info on that. And do alot of reading first before you ask...

I don't know what you mean with a dedicated computer tower.

About yer mixer. For each channel of simultanious recording, you need a micpre. (If you're recording mics, that is...) So check if it has direct outs or inserts, if it has, then you can work with it...

Also, what are you planning on recording? How many instruments at the same time, what are you planning short/long term, what kinda music... We need to know these kinda things before we can give decent answers.

And do alot of reading. This kinda question gets asked about once a week. So all the info is allready on this bbs. Go find it...

Cheers.

What i mean by dedicated computer tower is to have a computer with only windows and my music software apps. no other uses so no other software needed. all other apps, (ie internet, wordprossessing etc) would not be done with this system. this should give me a fast dependable recording medium.

this studio is used for my personel recording of primarily audio and i have 3-4 buddies with studios also and we all swap stuff to tweak. I would like to record at the most a full drum kit but primarily would record two or three guitars and vocals at once. (pickin and a grinnin')

the idea to get a digital board is due to the cost diffrence in just getting an interface for my existing board and i prefer to use a board for control over the Computer mouse for comfort and ease of use. my existing board looses sound quality from mic to speaker. it is kind of muddy sounding. for the cost of both i can get a good digital board.

Howlin' Dog

Ok. I see where you're aiming at... Most people aren't fond of the digital boards around. But I guess the samick ain't that good, aye...

One thing though, if I get it right, you say the digital board would cost you as much as the analog board and the interface to your computer? If you get a digital board, it'll have convertors and such, but you'll still need a multichannel soundcard to get it in your pc. You can get digital interfaces for your pc (multichannel digital audio in), but these will still cost quite alot!

Back