upgrade mic pre

Melsi

Padawan
currently have a focusrite platinum voicemaster pro, looking to upgrade to something better, i only need 1 channel and will be using to record purely smooth vocals, using a SE Electronics z5600a mic.

any suggestions?

Yes the RNP is a nice pre for around $500, if you only need a single channel, the P-solo is also good, tho it cost a little more than the RNP. Either way, they should be able to provide plenty of gain with lots of headroom.

Melsi said:
currently have a focusrite platinum voicemaster pro, looking to upgrade to something better, i only need 1 channel and will be using to record purely smooth vocals, using a SE Electronics z5600a mic.

any suggestions?

Are you looking for something "dfferent" sounding or something "better" sounding?

I have the Focusrite and I will say, for the 100th time, that the pre-amp section alone is right up there with my Avalon M5.

Both are very clean, quiet, and stack up nicely for endless tracks.

Now, if you want a different sound (color) then pick a Vintech, Hardy or something along these lines for Rock or etc.

If you want the same kind'a sound but better, you better have lots of $$$ because the Focusrite VP has one great pre-amp.

PS: You should try some different mics before you spend $$$ on another pre-amp. The pre-amp can only amplify what it is given. I have never tried the mic you have, but I know the pre-amp is class A.

MCI2424 said:
Are you looking for something "dfferent" sounding or something "better" sounding?

I have the Focusrite and I will say, for the 100th time, that the pre-amp section alone is right up there with my Avalon M5.

Both are very clean, quiet, and stack up nicely for endless tracks.

Now, if you want a different sound (color) then pick a Vintech, Hardy or something along these lines for Rock or etc.

If you want the same kind'a sound but better, you better have lots of $$$ because the Focusrite VP has one great pre-amp.

PS: You should try some different mics before you spend $$$ on another pre-amp. The pre-amp can only amplify what it is given. I have never tried the mic you have, but I know the pre-amp is class A.

now that confuses me because alot of people have said the focusrite is simply not good enough to get the full potential of the z6500a mic.

James Young from SE Electronics said to me:

"I would imagine the Platinum Pre is just not good enough quality for the mic, it's at the low end of Focusrite products, so it will be the limiting factor in the chain.

We don't recommend any specific pre's but any decent mid range pre, SPL, Focusrite Green, would be OK.

We do sell the new Rupert Neve Design 5012 Mic Pre, it's more pricey at £1200 plus vat, but we have a couple of demo units that are in very good nick going for a lot less, and they are SUPERB... really!"

Would you not agree with this?

Melsi said:
now that confuses me because alot of people have said the focusrite is simply not good enough to get the full potential of the z6500a mic.

James Young from SE Electronics said to me:

"I would imagine the Platinum Pre is just not good enough quality for the mic, it's at the low end of Focusrite products, so it will be the limiting factor in the chain.

We don't recommend any specific pre's but any decent mid range pre, SPL, Focusrite Green, would be OK.

We do sell the new Rupert Neve Design 5012 Mic Pre, it's more pricey at £1200 plus vat, but we have a couple of demo units that are in very good nick going for a lot less, and they are SUPERB... really!"

Would you not agree with this?

I don't think the guy (whoever he is) has ever even heard a VMpro. If the VMpro is the bottom of the barrel, then the Avalon just plain sucks.

I don't know the mic you have, but I can assure you, every mic I have sounds great through the VM pro. Other factors are your monitors,room,source etc. A pre-amp alone will not make a dent in the sound if the other factors are way out of whack.

Beware of mic companies telling you anything. Any mic company that blames the pre-amp for a lackluster sound certainly has a questionable product.

This schtick was done by Alan Hyatt on this very board. Just try some different mics to sort this out or try your mic somewhere else to see if you get the same results. I will guarantee if the mic sound good, you could run it through a Mackie pre-amp and it will sound good.

MCI2424 said:
I don't think the guy (whoever he is) has ever even heard a VMpro. If the VMpro is the bottom of the barrel, then the Avalon just plain sucks.

I don't know the mic you have, but I can assure you, every mic I have sounds great through the VM pro. Other factors are your monitors,room,source etc. A pre-amp alone will not make a dent in the sound if the other factors are way out of whack.

Beware of mic companies telling you anything. Any mic company that blames the pre-amp for a lackluster sound certainly has a questionable product.

This schtick was done by Alan Hyatt on this very board. Just try some different mics to sort this out or try your mic somewhere else to see if you get the same results. I will guarantee if the mic sound good, you could run it through a Mackie pre-amp and it will sound good.

Dont get me wrong, the mic is superb and does a very good job but i still want to take it to a next level, my room is accoustically treated and i have a pair of yamaha msp3 monitors so other factors will not affect what i am trying to achieve.

I dont think the guy is trying to blame the mic on the pre amp, as he has nothing to loose i have already bought his product! I have tried a few other mics with the VM pro and yes they sound good, im not saying its a bad pre, just want to step it up a level.

Melsi said:
Dont get me wrong, the mic is superb and does a very good job but i still want to take it to a next level, my room is accoustically treated and i have a pair of yamaha msp3 monitors so other factors will not affect what i am trying to achieve.

I dont think the guy is trying to blame the mic on the pre amp, as he has nothing to loose i have already bought his product! I have tried a few other mics with the VM pro and yes they sound good, im not saying its a bad pre, just want to step it up a level.

Then you probably want something with a different color. The Hardy and Vintech are great for Rock recordings. Try some out. Stay away from the Avalons also as they are similar to the VM pro.

Good Luck

MCI2424 said:
Then you probably want something with a different color. The Hardy and Vintech are great for Rock recordings. Try some out. Stay away from the Avalons also as they are similar to the VM pro.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated ;)

Interesting... Personally, I have used the whole Focusrite platinum series many many times and I would absolutely definately consider it the bottom of the barrel for the Focusrite range. I also in no way would find them similar at all to an Avalon (which I generaly do not care a whole lot for either unless it's the 2022 preamp). As far as a Hardy preamp goes, it would say that the Hardy's are good solid preamps for anything but the typical rock sound. If you want the preamp to sound smooth but for the most part get out of your way, the Hardy's do a good job at that. To me a preamp titled towards "rock recordings" would be the typical Neve and API families of preamps. Neither of which really fits the Hardy in my opinion.

Back to the Voicemaster though.... The focusrite platinum series seems to be decent for the price in my opinion, but preamp wise, I would actually prefer a Mackie Onyx preamp that just gets out of my way. The Platinum series sounds no where near as good as the RED and BLUE (ISA) stuff in my opinion, nor is it built as well.

I agree with not always trusting the companies reps when they are trying to defend their product, but in this case mentioned in this particular thread, it sounds like they were right. I would never blame the preamp for sounding bad (because I do not view the Focusrite Platinum stuff as bad) but it most certainly may not be doing much to allow the little details that the mic in question may or may not be capable of reproducing. Everything run through the Platinum series stuff seems to have that same coating to it. Like it is being rolled off a bit at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Almost like it has a "gloss" to it that sounds smooth, but never really allows power, aggression, or the full energy of a track to pop out.

xstatic said:
Interesting... Personally, I have used the whole Focusrite platinum series many many times and I would absolutely definately consider it the bottom of the barrel for the Focusrite range. I also in no way would find them similar at all to an Avalon (which I generaly do not care a whole lot for either unless it's the 2022 preamp). As far as a Hardy preamp goes, it would say that the Hardy's are good solid preamps for anything but the typical rock sound. If you want the preamp to sound smooth but for the most part get out of your way, the Hardy's do a good job at that. To me a preamp titled towards "rock recordings" would be the typical Neve and API families of preamps. Neither of which really fits the Hardy in my opinion.

Back to the Voicemaster though.... The focusrite platinum series seems to be decent for the price in my opinion, but preamp wise, I would actually prefer a Mackie Onyx preamp that just gets out of my way. The Platinum series sounds no where near as good as the RED and BLUE (ISA) stuff in my opinion, nor is it built as well.

I agree with not always trusting the companies reps when they are trying to defend their product, but in this case mentioned in this particular thread, it sounds like they were right. I would never blame the preamp for sounding bad (because I do not view the Focusrite Platinum stuff as bad) but it most certainly may not be doing much to allow the little details that the mic in question may or may not be capable of reproducing. Everything run through the Platinum series stuff seems to have that same coating to it. Like it is being rolled off a bit at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Almost like it has a "gloss" to it that sounds smooth, but never really allows power, aggression, or the full energy of a track to pop out.

xstatic, you have hit the nail on the head, for what i was trying to say! i was looking for something with more power, aggression and energy, im not really using the pre for rock music more for doing pop music and ballads!

I want something smooth but aggressive at the same time with that sparkle! for me the VM Pro has been great but doesnt live up to the standards im looking for!

Rnp

Melsi, I own a few RNP's and can say that, to my ears, they are rock solid, clean preamps that are very flexible. I think they are a great deal for the money and would hazzard a guess that you would be happy with one.

I would also point out that they are pretty available used at sites like this and gearslutz and they hold their value really well.

I think I totally fell in love with my RNP when I picked up the RNLA to insert into it.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Minion said:

Since you reccomended them.... have you ever listened to that DBX or the Aphex you have listed? I have heard the Aphex a couple of times, and it wqas "OK". That DBX however I am very familiar with and personally, it sound pretty horrid. A waste of money as far as I am concerned. Either way though, I would not consider either of those peices to be "good tube preamps".

xstatic said:
Since you reccomended them.... have you ever listened to that DBX or the Aphex you have listed? I have heard the Aphex a couple of times, and it wqas "OK". That DBX however I am very familiar with and personally, it sound pretty horrid. A waste of money as far as I am concerned. Either way though, I would not consider either of those peices to be "good tube preamps".

I am wondering too....

I haven't heard raves about either of those pre's.

Back